New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Hi Guys,

Tanong ko lang sana sa inyo kung paano ba ang pag adjust ng brake drum "the easier way." I usually use the baklas gulong method to adjust the drum, but from what I searched from Mr. Google, reversing then applying the brake will do. Others say that using the hand brake will do. So which is which? My ride is a Toyota Hi ace Super Custom imported from japan.

TIA..!

2. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    They're self adjusting. Maybe you're referring to hand-brake adjuster?

3. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    If i may add, usually kaya humihina ang brakes sa likod ay dahil puno na ng soil/dirt at kelangan na linisin kaya baklas method talaga ang procedure. Before servicing the brakes, dont forget to have some good brake cleaner that will dissolve any sorts of grime and dirt..

Procedure:
    1. Loosen lug nuts
    2. Jack the rear
    3. Remove tyre
    4. Using a flat screwdriver, back-off hand-brake adjuster from the rear of drum plate.
    5. Remove drum. You may need a rubber mallet or some dead-blow hammer to loosen a stucked drum, give it a good wham! Or.. simultanously use the screw - there's a screwhole in the drum that when a screw is screwed in, it will push against the hub..
    6. Inspect for signs of leaks or corrosion in the cylinders, correct or replace if necessary.
    7. Inspect pads wear indicator, replace if necessary.
    8. If there's a need to squeeze the cylinder for the inspection, plug a hose in the bleeder valve with the other end of the hose on an empty plastic bottle, then loosen the bleed valve. This way, dirty fluid will not pass back but flushed out.
    7. Spray deliberately with brake cleaner while scrubbing heavily soiled parts. Watch the dirt and grime fall off to the ground. You may need to put a tray underneath or mom would get angry with the stubborn stain in the garage.
    8. To further remove stucked dirt, grind those friction parts(drums/pads) with medium grit sandpaper . Use respirator/mask if necessary, brake dust and friction material fibres are health hazard if inhaled.
    9. Put back the brakes, drums, wheels, etc.. Installation is just the reverse of dissasembly.
    10. adjust hand-brake adjuster, turn the wheels and feel if the pads are making enough contact with the drum.. adjust untill there's slight resistance..You may need also to adjust cable slack of hand-brake, customize the lever action untill it feels right in your hands.
    11.Using the pedal and lever, simulate brake action. Adjust/ correct if necessary.
    12.Inspect for leaks, lower vehicle from jack, road test, assess if job well done..

4. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 12vdc View Post
    If i may add, usually kaya humihina ang brakes sa likod ay dahil puno na ng soil/dirt at kelangan na linisin kaya baklas method talaga ang procedure. Before servicing the brakes, dont forget to have some good brake cleaner that will dissolve any sorts of grime and dirt..

Procedure:
    1. Loosen lug nuts
    2. Jack the rear
    3. Remove tyre
    4. Using a flat screwdriver, back-off hand-brake adjuster from the rear of drum plate.
    5. Remove drum. You may need a rubber mallet or some dead-blow hammer to loosen a stucked drum, give it a good wham! Or.. simultanously use the screw - there's a screwhole in the drum that when a screw is screwed in, it will push against the hub..
    6. Inspect for signs of leaks or corrosion in the cylinders, correct or replace if necessary.
    7. Inspect pads wear indicator, replace if necessary.
    8. If there's a need to squeeze the cylinder for the inspection, plug a hose in the bleeder valve with the other end of the hose on an empty plastic bottle, then loosen the bleed valve. This way, dirty fluid will not pass back but flushed out.
    7. Spray deliberately with brake cleaner while scrubbing heavily soiled parts. Watch the dirt and grime fall off to the ground. You may need to put a tray underneath or mom would get angry with the stubborn stain in the garage.
    8. To further remove stucked dirt, grind those friction parts(drums/pads) with medium grit sandpaper . Use respirator/mask if necessary, brake dust and friction material fibres are health hazard if inhaled.
    9. Put back the brakes, drums, wheels, etc.. Installation is just the reverse of dissasembly.
    10. adjust hand-brake adjuster, turn the wheels and feel if the pads are making enough contact with the drum.. adjust untill there's slight resistance..You may need also to adjust cable slack of hand-brake, customize the lever action untill it feels right in your hands.
    11.Using the pedal and lever, simulate brake action. Adjust/ correct if necessary.
    12.Inspect for leaks, lower vehicle from jack, road test, assess if job well done..

Hi 12vdc,

Thanks for your reply. That is most likely what I do to adjust my rear brake drum. What I'm looking for are for facts if pulling the handbrake or doing a reverse then brake would adjust the rear drum automatically. Nabasa ko kasi sa net na yung iba ay ganun ang ginagawa pero sinasabi rin ng iba na hindi effective ang ganoong paraan. Sinubukan ko yung reverse method pero hindi ko alam kung epektibo or hindi.

5. Join Date
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by erick_214 View Post

Thanks for your reply. That is most likely what I do to adjust my rear brake drum. What I'm looking for are for facts if pulling the handbrake or doing a reverse then brake would adjust the rear drum automatically. Nabasa ko kasi sa net na yung iba ay ganun ang ginagawa pero sinasabi rin ng iba na hindi effective ang ganoong paraan. Sinubukan ko yung reverse method pero hindi ko alam kung epektibo or hindi.
    pakipost na lang brader ng pics dito para malaman natin kung reverse travel adjuster or parking brake adjuster brake drums mo....kapag via parking brakes ang adjustment e hindi yan mag-aadjust on braking while reversing the vehicle. fyi

kadalasan kasi ng mga brake drums dito satin sa pinas e leading-trailing type unlike duo-servo types na may reverse travel adjuster.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Reversing ang applying the brakes will automatically adjust the drum brakes IF your brakes are of the self adjusting type.

If your drum brakes are not self adjusting then all you need is a screw driver. There is a slot behind the brake where you can insert a flat tip screw driver and then turn the adjusting nut of the brake piston adjuster. This is a adjust-test-adjust method so you will need to do it several times until you are satisfied with how the brake grips.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    some models are self-adjusting; you just have to back up and step on the brakes.
    other models are manual-adjusting.

if the auto-adjusting brake innards get too dirty, they may not be able to self-adjust anymore. and also when the friction pads get to be too thin..

8. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by miked View Post
    pakipost na lang brader ng pics dito para malaman natin kung reverse travel adjuster or parking brake adjuster brake drums mo....kapag via parking brakes ang adjustment e hindi yan mag-aadjust on braking while reversing the vehicle. fyi

kadalasan kasi ng mga brake drums dito satin sa pinas e leading-trailing type unlike duo-servo types na may reverse travel adjuster.

Naku, magbabaklas na naman ba ako ng gulong. Sa tingin ko naman very similar yung design sa Mitsubishi Lancer, yun nga lang mas malaki sizes ng parts. So, any lucky guess kung anong type ng brake drum ito?

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008

Naku, magbabaklas na naman ba ako ng gulong. Sa tingin ko naman very similar yung design sa Mitsubishi Lancer, yun nga lang mas malaki sizes ng parts. So, any lucky guess kung anong type ng brake drum ito?
    the easiest way is to bring the car to the auto parts store, and accost one of the mechanics in waiting. they'll do a better job than you can, at a quarter of the time, with absolutely no sweat for you. labor will probably be 300 kesos or so..

10. Join Date
    May 2009

magandang workout yan para magka-abs.

pero i am 99% na ganito ang brake drum mo....borrowing this pic via google. credits to the owner of the pic
    https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...W4bpAS9VFjfxIw

at ganito naman yung reverse travel adjuster type. credits again to the owner of the pic at teambuick.com.
    http://www.aplsweb.com/Topics/Rear-Brake-Assembly.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast