New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    The car is a '96 Corolla. Before sending the car to a mechanic, I wanna ask you guys which part do you think is the suspect for the noise.

The lagutok is heard during:
    - (car at full stop) then turning steering wheel either left or right
    - (car is slowly running/moving) towards a hump or uneven surface (note: there's still lagutok even if steering wheel is not turned during these times)
    - (car at full stop) i went out and try bouncing/yanking the car up and down

I'm confused if the problem is in the steering mechanism or the suspension system itself. Need your expert advice. Thank you very much guys!

2. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    My wild guess: Bearing of the shock mounts? When you open the hood, this part is located on the corners. The shock absorbers are connected to this. May bearing yun to make turning easier. May prize ba yung makahula ng tama?

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    There could be a thousand causes but the most common, given the symptoms you provided, would be the left and right tie-rod end and/or rack-end joints (aka inner tie-rod).

You can diagnose it if you want: https://youtu.be/brI2feYiEi8

4. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    worn out ball joints creates knocking sounds sometimes.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

that's not difficult to find out. and yes, any of them suspension parts can cause your symptoms.
    a half-decent mechanic can find out, just by manipulating the suspension parts while the car is lifted.
    we can keep guessing here, or you can bring the car for checking tomorrow.
    but do ask the prices of the replacements, before you allow them to baklas the car.
    among the non-oem brands, i like 555 for their reliability.
    Last edited by dr. d; April 7th, 2015 at 12:19 AM.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Thank you very much for the tips guys! Well appreciated.

I brought the car to the mechanic this morning, the parts that were replaced are 2 ball joints (maganit na), 2 inner tie rods (matigas na yung "play"), and 1 shock mount (punit na). I'm not sure which part talaga nag cause ng noise, though im betting yung inner tie rods ang cause ng ingay.

Medyo namahalan lang ako sa wheel alignment kase it needed camber adjustment, i was expecting normal alignment lang kase. Anyway, ok na ang kotse, thanks again people!

Thank you very much for the tips guys! Well appreciated.

I brought the car to the mechanic this morning, the parts that were replaced are 2 ball joints (maganit na), 2 inner tie rods (matigas na yung "play"), and 1 shock mount (punit na). I'm not sure which part talaga nag cause ng noise, though im betting yung inner tie rods ang cause ng ingay.

Medyo namahalan lang ako sa wheel alignment kase it needed camber adjustment, i was expecting normal alignment lang kase. Anyway, ok na ang kotse, thanks again people!

7. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    There could be a thousand causes but the most common, given the symptoms you provided, would be the left and right tie-rod end and/or rack-end joints (aka inner tie-rod).

You can diagnose it if you want: https://youtu.be/brI2feYiEi8

sir ask ko lang din kahapon kasi nagchange oil ako ng oto ko first time diy change oil napansin ko lang
    na walang tie rod yung sa front driver side ko tapos yun kabila meron Honda city exi 97 po pala tsikot ko
    ang question ko lang po ay pede ba i diy yun paglalagay ng tie rod outer tie rod siya sir
    or kelanga dalin sa mekaniko para sila na ang magpalit .,. saka magkano ba pares ng tie rod..??
    kelangan ba dalin ko yun isa tie rod para may basihan ng sukat or iisa lang ng sukat ..
    nagsearch ako sa youtube pede siya diy kaya
    lang after ba nun kelangan din i align yun or camber kasi d pantay kain ng gulong ko .. thanks

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008

Quote Originally Posted by johnlward18 View Post
    sir ask ko lang din kahapon kasi nagchange oil ako ng oto ko first time diy change oil napansin ko lang
    na walang tie rod yung sa front driver side ko tapos yun kabila meron Honda city exi 97 po pala tsikot ko
    ang question ko lang po ay pede ba i diy yun paglalagay ng tie rod outer tie rod siya sir
    or kelanga dalin sa mekaniko para sila na ang magpalit .,. saka magkano ba pares ng tie rod..??
    kelangan ba dalin ko yun isa tie rod para may basihan ng sukat or iisa lang ng sukat ..
    nagsearch ako sa youtube pede siya diy kaya
    lang after ba nun kelangan din i align yun or camber kasi d pantay kain ng gulong ko .. thanks
    everything is DIY-able, if one knows how. i know of people who overhaul their engines... dala lang nila sa machine shop for the machining, so's they don't have to buy expensive machinery..
    tie rods.. yeah, they're not difficult to replace..

so you've been driving around minus a tie rod?? lucky you, buhay pa kayo ng kotse mo.. heh heh.

yes, it is best if you have alignments checked, everytime you kumpune the suspension..

9. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by benchman View Post
    worn out ball joints creates knocking sounds sometimes.
    Not on McPherson strut suspension. The ball joint is a non-load bearing ball joint. Maybe the strut mount which carries the sprung weight or the control arm bushings and/or strut rod bushings that react to torque of braking or of torque of taking off

10. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post

everything is DIY-able, if one knows how. i know of people who overhaul their engines... dala lang nila sa machine shop for the machining, so's they don't have to buy expensive machinery..
    tie rods.. yeah, they're not difficult to replace..

so you've been driving around minus a tie rod?? lucky you, buhay pa kayo ng kotse mo.. heh heh.

yes, it is best if you have alignments checked, everytime you kumpune the suspension..
    yes sir ., napansin ko lang nung sunday nag DIY change oil ako tapos chineck ko mga pang ilalim at nakita ko nga
    na isa tie rod lang ang meron which is passenger side .. 2nd hand ko lang kasi ito nakuha at first time ko nakita
    under chassis niya so isa ren siguro yun kaya d pantay kaen ng gulong ko sa driver side at isa ren reason yun kaya marami kalampag which is palitin naren ang mga bushings at shocks ko .. yung pagreplace ba ng shock pede i diy ..?
    meron naman ako mhihiraman na pang press ng spring eh.. para makamenos sa gastos ..

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast