New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Just wondering have these improved over the years, I don't know if some have notice the new variety of import/grey market small cars that are popping up and different MPV's and Vans (Elgrand) being my personal favorite, but Mazda Friendee's are also showing up in numbers as well as Toyota Regeus vans ect.

I've also notice some say converted in Japan, this is questionable since I'm not to familiar with the whole process. Are more companies making kits or just building cars were they can easily be switched over to LHD.

I'm not a big fan of the chop-chop method and especially the mutilation of the wire harness in the dash. Some vehicles are even showing up with the thumb button on the shifter in the correct possition for LHD like the Grandis.

To me these are still a good choice for vehicles if it's done right and they are in the Philippines legally, Looks like most of the action is up in norther Luzon as far as bringing cars in. And most of these are within 7 to 10 years old vs early 90's like pajeros.

Just some examples of what I'm talking about. Personally after living in Guam for the last 3 years I won't own anything I'm not prepared for to get wrecked so spending 1 million P on a vehicle even if I can afford it is really what I like doing, I rather have several vehicles for the same price.

But having said that nobody wants to sacrifice safety and reliability to save a buck, I have been in a Subic Delica when the steering rack locked while trying to exit the NLEX, talking about scary. But that was a almost 20 year old van. I hope people have brought up the standards on these conversions to just using kits versus cut and paste.

Last edited by dvldoc; November 1st, 2009 at 02:33 PM.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    AFAIK from friends who had bought these converted vehicles... the Pajero ang Hilux (HiSurf) had the best options for conversion... because their original LHD components are readily available and relatively affordable.

The next best option is get a Korean car (Hyundai Starex, Sportage) because they are already stock LHD. Since you also have mechanical background, it would be easier for you to maintain these vehicles.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Yeah I have a Starex that the in-laws drive, I find it a bit low tech for my taste. A lot of these vehicles have electronic fuel injection and common rail technology except for the Mazda Friendee but they are all still better powered than the Starex. The Elgrand for example has 150hp, The Regius has the 1kzte with 132hp, to me just better options. Even the mazda has the bullet proof ford 2.5 Turbo diesel with 112hp for much less.

To me 450T-400T for a 10 year old starex is not worth it. I have riden in the Elgrand in Japan and it's a far superior vehicle. We paid 412T pesos for our 1999 starex with 65,000k they were asking 475T.

I also know some are fitted with ORG LHD parts from other vehicles as well. I will just not do a cut and weld vehicle.

4. Join Date
    May 2005
    How much are they selling these "as is" esp. the Regius and Elgrand?

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    i don't know the recent conversions...but what i can say fm. experience is....

the early 2000's our family's Toyota Lucida just pales in comparison to the 2006purchased Toyota Hilux Surf. in terms of wiper relocation, proper dashboard (really no visible cut) and steering / brake controls. its just much better. the thing that needed work on are some improvement in the electrical wirings, A/C vents...

so etong mga galing Cagayan (Port Irene?) better check for yourself and see what's the end result of the latest conversions....

6. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    yun pajero ko, galing port irene yan at tinignan ko na ang ilalim. masasabi ko, malilinis magconvert ang mga port irene vehicles. walang putol sa dash, wala din welding sa ilalim. kaso ang problema ko lang, eh parang bitin ako pagdating sa birada. hindi ganun ka-sharp ang birada ng pajero ko. hindi ko lang alam kung ganun ba talaga ang pajero o may mali lang talaga o ganun ang behavior ng mga suv pagdating sa birada...

aircon, a/t shifter, electricals, everything perfectly done naman siya

7. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by number001 View Post
    How much are they selling these "as is" esp. the Regius and Elgrand?
    Regius and Elgrands are going for around 450T to 400T. Not to bad of a price for all there options.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    is there a shop here in manila na pwede gumawa at sanay mag ayos ng converted, yun kasi sakin is from subic pa, medyo nakalubog yun right portion ng steereing, hindi sha even pag umiikot kapag nag mani obra.

and yun brake pedal me bracket daw dun na dapat naka support, yun sakin hindi na nai lapat kasi nga converted.

mahirap na kasi magbyahe pag hindi tama ang pagka convert. i'm planning na papalitan yun rackend pinion ng tama, kasi yun kinabit daw sakin is pang corolla. e corona yun oto ko.

hope i can get your inputs

thanks.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    could somebody correct me if i'm wrong? but i believe na kung papalitan yung steering box with the orig LHD one (yung sa counterpart talaga nya dito. like SUVic pajero-->local PHdm pajero steering box) e masosolve na yung steering radius problem(s)?

Have RHD to LHD conversions improved?