New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    the thing here is I have a very limited parking space(actually saktong saktong lang talaga yung space) on my place at literally inclined siya. what I do is pag nagpapark nako(paharap) e pag sakto na yung spot e bigla ko hinihila handbrake to stop the car. so parang umaandar siya ng konti tapos bigla hinto after I hit the handbrake. pag brinake ko lang kasi using the pedal e mabilis ang atras ng oto(civic lx, manual) at hinde na sasakto sa space ko. and I do this everyday. I hope you get what I mean. nahirapan din ako i-describe.hehehe

tanong ko lang po kung my effect ba or makakasira or something sa brake system tong ginagawa ko araw araw?

2. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    When I used to drive a manual transmission car, I occasionally used the handbrake to "assist" me in going through steep inclines, specially when going from a standstill (to prevent the car from going backwards).

I don't see any reason that this practice will wreck the car in any way. It beats accidentally hitting anything on the road (another car, people, etc.)

3. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    practice ka pa to brake as fast as you can... i can do that without the help of hand brake.. so kaya mo din

4. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    I used to do this "trick" a long time ago and it's a lot of getting used to but.. with your right foot's heel operating the gas pedal and the toe resting on the brake pedal, pivot the foot releasing the accelerator and tap on the brakes immediately. Otherwise, practice the clutch-gas-brake coordination.
    In the same way that when confronted by a stalling engine due to erratic/low rpm during roadtests on automatics, my left foot rests lightly on the brakes and when in need to stop, I brake with my left and ease my right foot on the accelerator just enough to prevent the engine from dying.
    ..napangiti tuloy ako sa predicament mo; sakto lang ang space, inclined pa! Another trick I've thought of is make a permanent not-so-steep cemented wheel chock or hump for the rear or front tire, whichever is convenient to you, I think it would be the innermost wheel, adjacent to the wall. Pag kalang ng gulong mo, sakto!

5. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Kay thread starter, i wouldnt worry. Your rear brakes be it drums or disc are also used when you apply brakes. Probably your wear and tear would be your parking cable. Pwede maputol agad or you will need to adjust it more than normal.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Your current technique is fine. But I suggest you put it in gear (1st or reverse) and put some wheel chocks to keep the car planted.

It's not uncommon for the e-brake cable to fail without warning.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Ang pinaka possibilidad na maputol ang hand brake cable ay mataas. Ok lang yang ginagawa mo but make it a habit to inspect the cable regularly para maiwasan ang surprisa.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Ganito rin ginagawa ko especially on a traffic stop tapos incline. Eto kasi minsan ung downside kapag manual, kelangan talaga kabisado mo ung clutch+gas combination at dapat kaya mo syang gawin ng mabilisan or else ma-aatrasan mo ung nasa likuran mo, like ung nangyari sakin before na antagal (siguro, 1.5-2 sec) bago kumagat ung primera . Now, if ever my sudden stop na incline, engage ko lang ung hand brake tapos dahan dahan akong mag-ggas, kapag feel ko na humahatak na, dahan dahan ko namang bibitawan ung hand brake.

Reminder: dahan dahan lang tayo palage sa paghatak ng hand brake lever para at least mabawasan ung possibility na maputulan tayo ng cable neto.

handbrake usage!