New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]may left side cable(handbrake) is not working anymore. isang cable na lang ang kumakapit pag nag hahandbrake (right side) my problem is sabi ng mechanic stuck up na daw yun parang kinakapitan ng cable for the handbrake (i forgot what part) sa drum brake yata. and sabi nila hindi na daw mapapalitan yun wala daw sa surplus nun. brandew is so expensive daw and as set siya binibenta. so i guess i have to live with it na lang. is it safe? what can i do? TIA [/SIZE][/SIZE]

2. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    2 cables or just one cable that goes through the handbrake lever via a balancer? Anyway the question is, yung stuck na part, is it hampering the braking on that side? If it is, then it's dangerous because you can upset the balance of the car during a panic stop and cause the car to spin or sway to one side.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    2 cables. tinry namin palitan ng cable hindi talaga gumagana yun left side. well, ang napansin ko is humina yun handbrake sa mga hanging kelangan itodo mo yun taas ng lever para talaga kumapit. i know it is dangerous but what else i can i do?

4. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    btw, car is nissan sentra series 3

5. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    your left side cable might be stuck rusted on the lower end that goes through the left backing plate. if it is not broken, you can try to free this cable up using penetrating oil. the starwheel adjuster might be frozen too that needs to be freed or replaced. if the cable is too loose on one side it will affect the other side hence the high lever and the parking brakes still does not engage properly

6. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    pansin ko din mga sir pag downhill and pag nag handbrake ka hindi siya kumakapit unlike pag uphill may kapit pa ng konti, wag lang yun sobrang tarik pataas. dumudulas siiya

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    is it possible that your drum brakes (especially at the left rear) might be just stuck up. have it fixed. it's not difficult. one hour is already too much. and the brake components are pretty robust. it is very possible it just needs cleaning and not parts replacement.
    (and, if i may be so bold, maybe you might consider consulting another mechanic?)

8. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    is it possible that your drum brakes (especially at the left rear) might be just stuck up. have it fixed. it's not difficult. one hour is already too much. and the brake components are pretty robust. it is very possible it just needs cleaning and not parts replacement.
    (and, if i may be so bold, maybe you might consider consulting another mechanic?)
    ill try to consult other mechanic thanks

Handbrake problem