New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Hello guys! I am now hearing some unusually rattling sound at my Front Suspension...the driver side does have some minor "Thud, tok" sounds once in a while, but the passenger side is definitely stronger. This rattling "Tok, trok-tok-tok...thud" sound is very evident on uneven pavement with small lubak. During high speed even at 120kph on asphalt there is not rattle at all, not even any vibration in the steering.

I had the car checked and was advised it is possible that the shocks are already busted. But if you attack road humps, or do suddent swerving...the shocks still has damping action in them as. If you put your hands in the engine bay and push the car up and down...you will still feel and see the damping action of the shocks.

I brought it to Bridgestone Alabang yesterday and the mechanic did some checks.

1.) Inspect all under-chassis inspection, bushings, ball-joints, rack-end, tie-rod end, stabilizer --- OK!
    2.) Remove the stabilizer-link connection and do a road-test.... --- The rattling sound is still there. So its not the stabilizer-link. Or could it be?

3.) The mechanic said it was almost close to possible that it was the Shock mounting already...but this is to be continued as they don't have any parts available. Will have to re-schedule for a check again over the weekends.

But for now, based on the details what do you gusys think is the rattling? My car is a 2005 Altis. Thanks!

--- KYB Gas shocks FRONT = Php 2,900
    --- OEM Toyota Shock mounting = Php 3,700

2. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Try mo punta sa Cruven, mag second opinion ka sa kanila kasi baka kaya pa nila marestore yung dati mo na shock.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    try Sprinter at the corner of Banawe and Sta Catalina sts. kahit punit na strut kayang itayo.

dito nagpapagawa mga buy and sell.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    suspension problems can be a PITA and can be quite a trial and error task. I would usually suspect the bushings, tie rod and rack ends as one of the first to go as against the shock mounts or shocks. If it is assessed that those parts are going soon then why not replace it already just as well? Do get a second opinion just as well then weigh your options. I used to go to JP Wheels in Paranaque and had good experience with them fixing the kalampag in our cars before.

If your shocks do need replacement, do not go for refills, they dont last long and its much better to just buy brand new KYBs. For your tie rods and rack ends, 555 brand is fine but do get original if it is indeed your shock mounts that need replacement.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    For sure that rattling sound is coming from the shock absorber. P350/tire lang naman labor sa mga gas station.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    * vinj and Mile2

Yeah it was the shocks indeed. Had them replaced last Saturday at Shell SM Sucat (Lamuan Shell) with OEM Toyota Shocks "Tokico made"....and the rattles were gone. Well except the usual kalapag on the bushings etc, that comes with a 6year old car.

Got them for Php 2,800 each with suki discount at RPMS Parts (also owned by Lamuan Shell owner Mr. Montoya)...Toyota Pasong Tamo sells them at Php 3,100 each.

Glad I had the shocks replaced already. I feel much safer and control again.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by KinKyHOOTER View Post
    * vinj and Mile2

Yeah it was the shocks indeed. Had them replaced last Saturday at Shell SM Sucat (Lamuan Shell) with OEM Toyota Shocks "Tokico made"....and the rattles were gone. Well except the usual kalapag on the bushings etc, that comes with a 6year old car.

Got them for Php 2,800 each with suki discount at RPMS Parts (also owned by Lamuan Shell owner Mr. Montoya)...Toyota Pasong Tamo sells them at Php 3,100 each.

Glad I had the shocks replaced already. I feel much safer and control again.
    Good for you.

Given the road conditions here in the Philippines, its not unusual to replace shocks in a 5 year old car. Good thing the OEM shocks that Toyota uses is relatively cheap.

I changed my shocks a year ago on my 10 year old honda civic (vtec3 dimension). Front cost 5,200 pesos a piece! (discounted to less than 5k after install). What more if i bought the Tokico (OEM) shocks that japanese cars use.

All the above symptoms disappeared. Just to add, you can save some money on replacement shock mounts since the OEM ones are more expensive than the shocks themselves.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    * zephyr08

Thanks. Yeah OEM shock mounts are more expensive that the OEM shocks itself. yikes!

But I can still hear minute rattles when I come across uneven roads...but not as strong as when the old shocks were still on. Will have the stablinks, ball joints, rack-end, tie-rod end checked...maybe they need changing too. Gastos ulit, nakow...pero 555 Parts lang.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by KinKyHOOTER View Post
    * zephyr08

Thanks. Yeah OEM shock mounts are more expensive that the OEM shocks itself. yikes!

But I can still hear minute rattles when I come across uneven roads...but not as strong as when the old shocks were still on. Will have the stablinks, ball joints, rack-end, tie-rod end checked...maybe they need changing too. Gastos ulit, nakow...pero 555 Parts lang.
    I recently bought 555 at Banawe (Toyorama) and the tie rods, rack end, stab link along with OEM stab bar bushing cost me around 4K to 5K if i recall correctly. Laki kasi ng stab link ng Altis.

Aside from shock mounts, the other OEM part i would get for the suspension would be the control arm assembly... yan ang masakit din sa bulsa if ever. As for the rest, okay na ang branded replacements.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    FOUND THE CULPRIT!

It was the lower brake caliper bolts. The mechanic wrapped the bolts with teflon tape and put grease in it. its now gone. No more rattles when I run across small uneven surfaces. YES!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Front Suspension rattling...Shock or Shock mount?