New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Hi,

while moving i don't hear or feel anything unusual in the front right axle of my car (mitsu lancer glx 2000)

during my change oil, while everything else is connected, i tried moving the axles (sideways relative to the car - to and from between the tranny and wheel).

the left axle was quiet. the right axle on the other hand, is clicking. i hear the click on the right wheel side. the boot is not torn. bands are tight and in place and no sign of thrown out grease.

is this an indication of a worn part? any suggestions?
    Last edited by spyghost; October 8th, 2009 at 12:31 PM.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by spyghost View Post
    Hi,

while moving i don't hear or feel anything unusual in the front right axle of my car (mitsu lancer glx 2000)

during my change oil, while everything else is connected, i tried moving the axles (sideways relative to the car - to and from between the tranny and wheel).

the left axle was quiet. the right axle on the other hand, is clicking. i hear the click on the right wheel side. the boot is not torn. bands are tight and in place and no sign of thrown out grease.

is this an indication of a worn part? any suggestions?

spyghost,
    if your car is of east-west orientation- meaning- the engine is on the right side or east and the transaxle is on the left or west, the right axle shaft is longer than the left axle shaft. the angle of the axle shafts are different when the suspension is unloaded, the left axle shaft will have a bigger inclination from horizontal than it is on the right axle shaft. that's the reason why you don't feel the slack on the left axle shaft because of the pretension on that axle caused by the steeper angle
    jick

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    yup my orientation is e-w.

from an underchassis point of view while lying down (legs in front of the vehicle), yes its the left axle which is shorter and the right is the longer one.

so are you saying the the "clicking" sound of the right axle is normal in an unloaded position?

4. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by spyghost View Post
    yup my orientation is e-w.

from an underchassis point of view while lying down (legs in front of the vehicle), yes its the left axle which is shorter and the right is the longer one.

so are you saying the the "clicking" sound of the right axle is normal in an unloaded position?

spyghost,
    when the car is on the ground and the weight of the car is on the suspension, the slack will be almost equal or equal. the car on the hoist is not suspended on the cars springs and the angles of the axles are not the same as when it is on the ground. it is perfectly normal.
    jick

5. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    check mo yung brake caliper.. tnx

Front axle clicking while moved with hand