New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    hi,

i am about to change my brake fluid and my clutch fluid.

i'll be doing this on my own, because i know what needs to be done here.

question now is, i don't known which fluid i am going to use. its not right to mix dot3 and dot4 right, so i don't know which i am going to use.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by spyghost View Post
    hi,

i am about to change my brake fluid and my clutch fluid.

question now is, i don't known which fluid i am going to use. its not right to mix dot3 and dot4 right, so i don't know which i am going to use.
    dot 3 and dot 4 are compatible, dot 4 can handle higher temperatures. in a dot 3 system you can use dot3 or dot4, but if your system requires dot4, thats all you can use. dot 3 boiling point is 369 degrees where dot 4 is 446 degrees. yes your brake fluid can get that hot. when water and other contaminants get in your fluid it lowers the boiling point even more. i suggest flushing your brake fluid when you do a brake job.

so going back to your question, what is your braking system? DOT3 ba o DOT4? Kung DOT3, use DOT4 na.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by spyghost View Post

how is it that you "know what needs to be done" but doesn't know what fluid to use.

anyway, just read the cover of the tank/container where you put the brakefluid and it will show you if you need dot3 or dot4 fluid.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    dot 3 should be ok for a lancer.

dot3 and dot4 - which is which?