New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    in choosing the correct tire pressure, it is said that we should follow what the manufacturer recommends.... is this an absolute truth? yung nakalagay sa driver's side door ng lancer mx is 2.1 kg/cm2. so around 21 psi? di ba masyadong mababa? what do you think guys?

2. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    I think you can follow but some people do it diffrent for me i follow like my light truck i only have 28psi considering almost 2 tons ang truck ko some times i put it until 25psi, but wait for the others kasi madaming me experience sa ganyan.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    yes you can trust that stamp, MALI LANG CONVERSION.

2.1kg/cm2 = 29.9 psi kasi, hindi 21 psi.

go here to convert other pressures >>>> http://www.lenntech.com/unit-convers...r/pressure.htm

i used to have a 2001 lancer mx (traded it in 10 days ago lang), the front tyres spec pressure is 30 psi, rear tyres is 28 psi.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Follow the manufacturer's recommendation. But if I have no way of checking the pressure accurately (or close to accurate), my rule of thumb is: Don't let the tire look uneven (implies "don't let the sidewall touch the ground").

So kung medyo uneven (yung sobrang "dispormado" ang round shape ng gulong), dadalhin ko na sa vulcanizing shop or gas station for air refilling...

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    in my experience, for a typical sedan, 30 psi is kinda underinflated as shown by tire wear ... so i always add a little more, sometimes up to 35 psi

but tire wear depends on the car, your load, the tire, wheel alignment, etc ... and only after some 30,000 km that you'll see if the tire wear was even or not

6. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    try different pressures until you find the one you are comfortable with.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Have you heard about the "chalk" method? Please see this link: http://www.automedia.com/Optimizing_...cr20010801tp/1

I actually saw this first in another forum and there really is no need to put the chalk then run a quarter mile, i recall you can do this in your own garage as long as the tires are already warmed up and that you have a flat surface to roll the tires over. Summary of the different results should be something like this:

chalk wears out more on the shoulder = under inflated
    chalk wears out more on the center = over inflated
    chalk wears out evenly = proper tire pressure

On discussions i read about this method, the supposed proper tire pressure was reckoned to be about an average of 4 psi above the recommended psi on the label stated at the driver's side door jamb.

Sa experience ko ay okay lang ito (i.e. i'm using 36 psi instead of 32 psi as recommended) hanggang sa ngayon ay palaging pantay ang pudpod ng mga gulong sa mga sasakyan namin. added bonus ay slightly better ang gas mileage (i.e. subjective) and there is no noticeable sacrifice on the ride (i.e. again, subjective).

You may want to give this a try if it makes sense to you and judge the results for yourself.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by slamtaz; January 3rd, 2009 at 01:24 PM.

Can we trust this?