New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2013
    Not sure if this is allowed but i posted this in the mitsu board as well.... Almost starting to regret buying this thing.
    Pajero is less than a month old and i just noticed loud clunking inthe rear passenger side suspension. Used to Happen occasionally when i pull away off from a full stop or go to a full stop from slow traffic speed. Usually louder pag stop to go, kind of like a piece of metal hitting back from the inertia. I initially thought it was just my brakes but i took it on a long drive yesterday and the thing just clunked away when i hit potholes and bumps. After the long trip, even at slow speeds on a dirt road, clunking pa rin. Took it to the dealer the next morning, nawala. Test drove it with a mechanic and we coulndt replicate the same amount of noise but there was some which was blamed on the panel covering the fuel pipe... adjusted it to eliminate what little contact there was. Took it on the same drive this afternoon and bumalik nanaman. Not the 3rd row seat nor the tools underneath it as i put the seat up and took the tools out on this trip. Any ideas?

2. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    somebody has to be sitting at or near the rear while the jeep is moving to try to locate where that CLANK is coming.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    check the whole exhaust pipe for interference with the floor pan and the brackets/cross members. i would also check the suspension bushings and suspension links for interference. usually they leave rust stains or shiny surfaces they leave behind as the parts rub against each other

4. Join Date
    May 2013
    Thanks for the early responses!
    Ya, the mechanic was sittting in the rear cargo/3rd row area and he isolated it to the rear passenger tire side. It wasnt as severe during the test drive though.
    Thanks! Will check those out. I purposely left it dirty so i could spot "clean" spots for possible movement. I did find the stabilizer have a bit of a clean patch on the rear side but im not sure if it was from being covered or from rubbing. They supposedly tightened the body bolts when i took it in for the first 1000km service sched but i dont know if they tightened the ones you mentioned as well. Also suspecting the upper arm, it being mostly hidden from view, baka hindi na notice kahapon when they put it up on the lifter.
    This is really irritating coming from a 1month old car.

5. Join Date
    May 2013
    Update: checked the exhaust pipe myself this morning. No problem there.
    Been looking at diagrams of the pajero's rear suspension trying to see what it could be... Any thoughts on this possibly being a loose upper arm? Im not much of a car guy but im trying to analyze what's going on and i suppose with brand new bushings, movement may be limited to it rearward/forward shifting on a quick start, turn or stop and of course, a pothole. Any thoughts on this?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    How about the shock bolts? Is the sound more evident when the weather is dry/hot as against when it's raining?

Trial and error yan and you have to rely on the CASA to get it diagnosed at this point since the vehicle is under warranty. Try also another Mitsu dealer as they may be able to diagnose it better. Kalampag is really a PITA to diagnose and pinpoint. I'm also dealing with one on my Altis now, although i know the cause already (caliper pin).
    Last edited by vinj; August 9th, 2013 at 11:45 PM.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    If it's acceleration and deceleration related, it could be driveshaft backlash.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    check the U-joint flange bolts (front & rear of the rear driveshaft) if tight. Check also if your rear pinion flange lock nut is loose. It could also be that your trailing arms' (for the rear coil spring) bushings/bolts are loose

9. Join Date
    May 2013
    Thanks for all the responses. I really appreciate it. Keeping all of them in mind for future reference or incase, God forbid, di pa nawawala.
    Update: The car spent all of monday and yesterday morning at the casa. They test drove it to bring out the problem and it didn't take long for it to do so. After the drive, they performed, correct me if I get this wrong, the Z1 procedure? Basically, they went under the car and tightened what I suppose is every single bolt holding things together. Wala namang loose except for the bolt on the rear cross-member where the passenger side spring is mounted. The SA say's it took about a 90 degree turn to tighten/torque.
    So far, so good. I test drove it myself with the SA and tech to try and induce it but despite more than 5 rounds through the same route, hindi na lumabas.
    Drove it all afternoon yesterday and still good. Hoping yun lang cause nun but I find it odd that it wasnt all that loose to begin with and yet caused such severe clunking. I'll be taking it on the same drive that first brought it to my attention, this weekend. I'll post to give an update afterwards. Hopefully wala na, at solved na.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    This is surprising, considering that the dealer performs Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) before a unit is handed over to a customer. Add to that, the assembly plant also performs PDI before the units get delivered to the dealers.

Either your case was an isolated one, or there are more loose bolts running around out there. Which dealer BTW, if you dont mind my asking?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Brandnew Pajero rear suspension problem