New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Hi to all, ask ko lang kung kailangan ko na ba palitan ang brake pads (front) kasi almost 5yrs na ang brake pads ko and still makapal pa din. ang ginagawa lang ng mekaniko nililinis at ginagamitan ng sand paper para gumaspang ulit. nagiging malutong din ba ang pads kapag tumatagal? should i repalce it na? kasi yung break shoe naka 2x na akong palit compare sa brake pads. btw ang gamit kong break pads ay bendix sa front

TIA

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    As long as you have not overheated your brake pads, they should be fine until it gets thin enough to be replaced. Pads last depending on how you drive and also the weight of your vehicle plays a role too.

In the past I have worn out brake pads in as little as 7,000km or lasted as long as 20,000km before it's replaced. I have also pads replaced in as little as 2,500km on them because I have overheated them enough to make them crack in certain places (after participating in a track day event).

3. Join Date
    May 2006
    Do you drive an automatic? Most drivers that I know of that drive automatics usually wear their pads faster than manual since they ride on the brakes in traffic.

We have tried Bendix pads and they seem to last long, minimizes squeaking and has good grip.

Of course, it also depends on your driving style so if you accelerate and brake hard and often, well, there you go.

Last edited by Memphis Raines; December 5th, 2008 at 12:59 PM.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    First, check the front rotors to make sure their thickness is within spec. Make sure they're not warped, warped rotors lead to shorter pad life (eat up more pad material than necessary).

Baka matigas na compound ang gamit mo sa front pads, kaya matagal mapudpod. Some OE pads are like that, yung iba naman malakas maubos pero malakas rin kumapit like the stock ones in my car.

Rule of thumb for front and rear pad replacement is usually for every two sets of front pads changed, change the rear pads din. Most cars don't have front pad wear sensors, some do which I think was a very good idea.

Kung nakadalawang palit ka na ng brake shoes check your E-brake cable adjustment. Dapat mauuna ang wear sa harap hindi sa likod. Ilang click bago kumagat ang handbrake mo?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    mine lasted for 7 years.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    16 mons old. 35,XXX km odometer. Front pads about 1/2 the original thickness. Rear are still thick. Galing ako sa PMS kanina sa Toyota Shaw.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Sentra GS automatic 44k makapal pa napapalitan ko.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    my pads lasts usually about 35K km. The disks usually needs resurfacing every other change 70K km. I strongly suggest using Bendix brake pads, i've used them in most of our cars. Some shops near us won't even replace your pads unless you're going to use original manufacturer pads or Bendix.

brake shoe/pads how long will it last?