New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    So my brake fluid in the reservoir was already brown to blackish in color, I brought my 97 Accord to Cruven Makati and asked for the brake fluid to be flushed and replaced.

They did the flushing, gravity bled it plus the old school "bomba" technique. problem is they only opened up and bled the front brakes and said the rear brakes don't need to be bled.

So I'm thinking now my front brake lines have new brake fluid, while my rear brake lines still have the old blackish fluid?!

Did Cruven do it wrong??

2. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    yep definitely....normally vehicle share a common Fluid reservoir and only separated within the reservoir for the front and the rear. Para bang meron syang isang maliit na cup inside the big Fluid reservoir. This is done in such that in the event na magkaron ka ng brake failure either sa front or sa rear you still have a working front or rear brake. So technically its always mixing kse nga nakalagay ang yan sa isang Fluid reservoir..in short tinamad na lang sila i-bleed off ung rear.

Most car manufacturers recommend to change Brake fluids every 3years or so...pero ang Prestone sa advertisements nila gusto nila every year..hehehehe siempre business.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Thanks for the input Jiggs. And I thought the Cruven guys were competent ...

4. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepsus View Post
    So my brake fluid in the reservoir was already brown to blackish in color, I brought my 97 Accord to Cruven Makati and asked for the brake fluid to be flushed and replaced.

They did the flushing, gravity bled it plus the old school "bomba" technique. problem is they only opened up and bled the front brakes and said the rear brakes don't need to be bled.

So I'm thinking now my front brake lines have new brake fluid, while my rear brake lines still have the old blackish fluid?!

Did Cruven do it wrong??
    They definitely did it wrong.

On Hondas, the braking circuitry works diagonally (the owner's manual will tell you this). One circuit takes care of braking the left-front and right-rear wheels, while the other circuit takes care of the right-front and left-rear wheels. The principle is if one circuit fails, then you have at least some braking at both ends since the brake fluid circuits run diagonally.

By extension, if Cruven bled only the front brakes, that means both your Accord's braking circuits have old fluid in them still.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggs View Post
    Most car manufacturers recommend to change Brake fluids every 3years or so...pero ang Prestone sa advertisements nila gusto nila every year..hehehehe siempre business.
    Once a year is fine, I'd recommend this change interval too. The longest a car's brake fluid should last is two years, tops.

Maybe it's a business gimmick but it's also a pretty important one as drivers' and passengers' lives inevitably ride on brakes.
    Last edited by Type 100; September 2nd, 2010 at 06:28 PM.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Well..you're right, we shouldn't skips on items specially on Brake system. being conservative will not harm except for your pockets.

\\but FYI those 3years interval changing of Brake fluids are the ones recommended by HONDA itself. check the Service Manual of Honda it states there every 3years.
    Last edited by Jiggs; September 2nd, 2010 at 06:39 PM. Reason: typo errror

7. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    you did right on having your break fluid flushed since old break fluid tends to absorb moisture overtime and chemical composition changes that it harms the seals.

cruven did wrong in doing only the front parts. now you may have to do it again for all four lines since hahalo na naman yung dumi mula sa likod.

Brake Fluid Flushing at Cruven Makati