New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2011
    We keep seeing this term on car reviews and on this forum but what does it really mean?

What are the criteria to say a car is engineered in a better way?

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by xninjax View Post
    We keep seeing this term on car reviews and on this forum but what does it really mean?

What are the criteria to say a car is engineered in a better way?
    it's an advertising gimmick!
    and the buying public is supposed to filll in the blanks.
    but every critic also knows, better engineered may also mean, "better engineered to fail...". heh heh.

i remember in the 60s, the MB ad goes, "..the world's best engineer's car..". which, to me, at that tender age of gullibility, was credible, because the germans then, "engineered everything to death"..

3. Join Date
    May 2006
    O yung term na over engineered, I often see this term in car reviews in magazines or youtube videos, made by journalists.

Pero napaisip na rin ako netong term na to e. Does it refer to tibay, or hi techness?

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by oliver1013 View Post
    O yung term na over engineered, I often see this term in car reviews in magazines or youtube videos, made by journalists.

Pero napaisip na rin ako netong term na to e. Does it refer to tibay, or hi techness?
    again, an advertising gimmick.
    but to me, it can also mean, it's too expensive for what it does.

actually, it's a nice advertising gimmick, because even seasoned motoring journalists fall prey to using them to the advantage of the car seller.

but think a while... how would anyone know if it was over-engineered? either you designed it yourself, or you took it apart... heh heh.
    Last edited by dr. d; May 17th, 2014 at 10:04 AM.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    ^^^ You'll know after 20 years of owning the car.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Basically how well the parts were put together - i.e. Matibay.

Synonymous to build quality in layman's terms if you ask me.

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App

7. Join Date
    May 2006
    Or there are parts not necessarily needed but its there..

8. Join Date
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Basically how well the parts were put together - i.e. Matibay.
    Synonymous to build quality in layman's terms if you ask me.
    Posted via Tsikot Mobile App
    If that's the case then an altis should be the better engineered car compared to a focus... But we always see comments the other way around

9. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by xninjax View Post
    If that's the case then an altis should be the better engineered car compared to a focus... But we always see comments the other way around
    On the flipside:
    The Focus was better engineered because there was more effort put in the design and the engineering of the car with an all new transmission, an all new range of engines, and all sorts of electronic gadgetry whereas the Altis soldiers on with the same engine and its only major advancement is in its CVT transmission.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    imo, if its used by consumers for longest time then its a better engineered car. its about reliability, long service life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast