New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2021
    I noticed the wheel weights on one of my front tires came loose a few weeks back (it was partly peeling off) so I had both front tires balanced na rin, even if it wasn't time for rotation. As I was chatting with the technician, he told me:

"Mabuti pa kayo ser, may mga iba diyan, pati yung rear tires pinapabalance din, di nila alam, nagsasayang lang sila ng pera. Unless may diperensya talaga yung gulong sa likod, bina-balance lang yan pag i-rorotate na sila sa harap"

It was not in their interest to make such claim- siyempre they'd want you to spend more money right? So I found it credible. But what he said intrigued me, so I asked around sa mga shops habang naglalakwatsa sa Banawe minsan and found that most of them are in agreement with what he said. It was a reputable shop whose name I won't mention here (baka akalain endorsment pa) but dealer sila ng well known na tire brand.

I've googled it and iba naman sinasabi (mostly foreign sources) na dapat all 4 tires should be balanced.

Tsikoteers, your thoughts on the matter and/or experiences? Please share.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    All 4 wheels should be balanced. The reason why you are balancing them is primarily to have them wear evenly, lessen vibration and to a lesser degree, give uniform handling. Some shops won't balance the rear tires for cars with solid axles coz you won't really feel the difference. But it can have an impact on the evenness of your rear tires as they wear down.
    Last edited by Wh1stl3r; February 26th, 2022 at 09:41 AM.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    However well-intentioned, I think the technician is wrong. All tires should be balanced, regardless.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    4 dapat. Possible din maka-add sa bearing wear ang vibration.

Tapos kung rotation time na, ang likod pupunta din sa harap.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    i balance all my wheels.
    magkano lang ba naman yon...?

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    i balance all my wheels.
    Wala pa atang 100 each depende sa tingga pero mabusisi. Baka isip ng technician not worth the effort. When I bought my used wheel and tire set I had them balanced before installing kahit na they just came off from the seller's car.

Sent from my SM-A605G using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh1stl3r View Post
    All 4 wheels should be balanced. The reason why you are balancing them is primarily to have them wear evenly, lessen vibration and to a lesser degree, give uniform handling. Some shops won't balance the rear tires for cars with solid axles coz you won't really feel the difference. But it can have an impact on the evenness of your rear tires as they wear down.
    Bro question. Bakit iba tingga ng steel rim and alloy wheels? Clip type sa steel rims and stick on sa alloy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy_boy View Post
    Bro question. Bakit iba tingga ng steel rim and alloy wheels? Clip type sa steel rims and stick on sa alloy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bro, meron din naman clip on for alloy wheels, but kelangan yung wheel lip compatible para makabit sya. But optional yun for both. Pwedeng stick on din sa steel rims. IMHO as long as done properly, walang advantage yung clip ons. Minsan sumasabit pa nga yun at natatanggal when the car is used offroad. Mas malinis din tingnan yung tape weights kasi nasa likod lang ng wheel face.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy_boy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh1stl3r View Post
    Bro, meron din naman clip on for alloy wheels, but kelangan yung wheel lip compatible para makabit sya. But optional yun for both. Pwedeng stick on din sa steel rims. IMHO as long as done properly, walang advantage yung clip ons. Minsan sumasabit pa nga yun at natatanggal when the car is used offroad. Mas malinis din tingnan yung tape weights kasi nasa likod lang ng wheel face.
    One of mine has both types (clip on + stick on), fresh from the factory.
    Even the spare, napansin ko may weights din.

Palagay ko pareho lang, although parang mas discreet lang yung clip on. Parehong pwedeng matanggal naman din. And magbabago rin yung balance as the tires wear (this is natural & expected) so when we rotate them, we check the balance and apply corrections kung kailangan.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    i balance all my wheels.
    Yes. Mura nga lang.

I decided to err on the side of caution din and had the rear tires balanced naman din the following day. Minimal corrections lang were needed. The machine readout when we spun them showed one was still ok while the other needed just 1 weight.

Napaisip lang ako sa sinabi nung technician and some owners of shops sa Banawe so I decided to raise the matter for discussion here. Yung 2 factors weighing in on my mind at the time were like this kasi:

a) Mura lang naman, so why not?
    -- vs. ---
    b) Ayos naman yung gulong, pantay ang wear, no vibrations, there's nothing wrong at all, why fiddle with it? Kaya lang napabalance yung front kasi lumuwag yung weight (nagkataon) otherwise I would've kept `em rolling that way till next rotation. (BTW, they've run less than 1400km since they were last balanced during the previous rotation.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast