New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    TOYOTA COROLLA 1.6Gli 1997 model

I just had my toyota checked in a Petron Auto Shop and they saw, i have to say, a lot of problems.
    so may i just ask for help from you guys.

1st are tires.
    I have to replace my tires.
    all four of My tires are with specs, 185/65/R14 86V CHAMPIRO GTX-65.
    May I know what are the best tires now, at the range of P4k each (lower the better)
    And where can I buy here in Manila.

The auto shop gave me an estimate of the things I have to repair.
    I hope to get an opinion from you guys, and maybe help me out where can i buy the parts they said i needed to buy.

2 TIE ROD P1430
    2 PACK END P2210
    2 LOWER SUSPENSION BUSH BIG P910
    1 HI-TENSION WIRE P1500

LABOR - P2580
    WHEEL ALIGNMENT - P450
    CAMBER - P800

That's the estimate the head mechanic gave me.
    I know you guys think that some, or all, of these are priced high.
    Maybe you could point me where i can buy these materials and maybe i could just have them do this and pay labor.
    Or maybe i could just go to another auto shop, very reliable (with positive review from you experts) and with low material and labor prices?

THANKS SO MUCH FOR the future help.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    I used to have 2 bigbody corolla. Sold 1 of them. Still has the other one but is semi-retired (use 2x a week na lang).

Wear and tear parts. Sa edad ng auto. Expected na yan.

It is still relatively easy to source out replacement parts. 555 brand will do. Just find a competent mechanic.

As to tires, the GT brand will also do the job.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    555 brands are what? sorry sir, don't know much about brands.
    where's their shop?

as for the tires, GT is another brand of tires right? how about yokohama? someone's advising me to get those.
    and here in manila, where's the best car wheels dealer? with tire alignment?

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    555 is the brand name of the parts manufacturer that makes replacement suspension parts for many car brands. it's ok; it's actually my default brand when i don't want to use OEM (original equipment manufacturer. expensive!). and they're widely available in most auto parts stores worthy of their abacus.
    and i try to get locally manufactured tires.. heh heh. we have to support local industry.. my toyotas came to me from the casa, in yokohamas.. .. and whenever i have to buy tires, i canvas several by phone and compare prices. canvasing by phone will give you better prices compared to just driving in and then haggling.. koreans? i have bad experience with korean rubber..
    now, i feel you know little about cars, and that you are female. i suggest you ask a guy friend who's knowledgeable in cars, to accompany you when you have the car fixed. baka ka pagsamantalahan ng mga mekaniko, e.. they might ask if you want them to clean your disk brake rotors, or adjust your rear drums, or tune-up your gli..
    the parts prices quoted seem on the high end if memory serves me right. baka makamura ka kapag sa "rundown place" like paco ka magpagawa. ( that row of shops along pedro gil, between benitez st and palengke. there are many such places.. pasay rotonda.. araneta..).
    the alignment and camber are within industry standard (380 ang siningil sakin ng toe adjustment..), but you may be able to get a discount if you have them done in the same shop you will buy the tires from. you have to do your math beforehand.
    oh, and the labor seems on the high end.. estimate ko, kung sa paco ako magpapagawa ay makakamenos pa.. baka naman controlled ang labor sa petron garage..
    my 84 centavos' worth..
    Last edited by dr. d; August 20th, 2012 at 01:36 PM.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    hey thanks sir.

i just called yokohama, and they have Adrive at P3200 each for my corolla.
    is it worth it?

and by the way, i plan on buying 2 first. is that okay?

so it'll be 2 yokohamas in front with the other old 2 tires (185/65/R14 86V CHAMPIRO GTX-65.) at the back.
    you think the yokohamas will have the exact specs as the champiros? like 185/65/r14 yokoghama.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    For tires ideally dapat palit 4 kasi iba na yung kapit nung dalawang upod na. Had a GLi before and ganun ako magpalit. 555 branded parts are ok, basta maayos ang lagay. Try the Rapide shops. Have good experience with them madaming may alam ng GLi kasi madaming parts.