New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Hi all,

My stock discs are in need of re-facing coz i'm noticing a decline in the stopping power of my car. I brought the car to evangelista to have my CV Boot replaced and they also confirmed that i need to have my discs re-faced. i still havent had it re-faced coz i dont have the time nor the budget.

Thing is, since i'll be needing to temporarily "fix" the problem soon, i've decided to upgrade my brakes instead.

I'm thinking of replacing my old discs with slotted ones. i've searched and read thru the different threads here that discussed different rotors and i think that a slotted rotor is what i currently need.

any advice anyone can give? how much should i expect to shellout? also, if i replace my rotors, it doesnt follow that i have to replace my calipers, right? where can i purchase a set (front and rear)?

also, out of curiosity.. how much would a Brembo Big Brake Kit cost? i know i dont really need them, i just want to know if i can afford it (if ever hehe).

here are the specs of my current discs: Captive disc: (Dimensions: Disc diameter 257mm, Disc thickness: 22mm (20mm service limit), Overall thickness: 34mm, Hub hole: 86mm)

car is a 1997 Tiburon

Thanks in advance!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    patulong naman jan mga paps

kahit advise lang sa price at kung san makakabili ng magandang brand ng slotted rotors

3. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Up up

san sa south (Sucat Area) ang pwedeng pagbilhan ng slotted rotors?

Ano magandang brand?

Thanks in advance!

4. Join Date
    May 2009
    Ako nagpalit ako ng front two rotors and pads except the caliper.

since street use and home-work-home and sometimes long distance travels, sapat na sa akin yung OEM/stock sizes. i can't afford anyway the upgrades. well, that's me.

Damage was:

1. Rotor (Rico brand 22 mm) = P1,900 each
    2. Brake pads (Vetto brand) = P680 (1 set front)
    3. Wheel Bearings (Koyo brand) = P130 each
    4. Grease NLGI 3 = P120
    5. Experience = priceless
    6. Labor = free since DIY
    Total = P5k plus

Tools used:
    1. Regular hand tools (socket wrenches, combination wrenches, etc.)
    2. Special tools (grease gun at grinder kasi hindi nagfit yung new inner brake pads)

Time to do it = 12 hours sakin (may kasama pa kasi na yosi break, caliper cleaning, wrestling with the caliper kasi hindi nagfit agad-agad, cleaning and greasing of the spindle arm joints and other zerk fittings plus playing tomica with my son)

Bedding-in/break-in procedure for new pads and rotors: 30-50-30 rule
    Make about 30 full stops (for about 5 secs) from 50 kmh to 0 kmh with 30 seconds in between stops to cool off the rotors and pads.

that's it.

ride is a L2 pickup mitsy.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    *mousepad,

You can drop by Hongly/Pitworkz if you are looking for slotted rotors. The shop is located along Sucat road. So if you are coming from SM Sucat, as soon as you pass by the Shell gas station it would only be a few meters away. HTH

6. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    at last, 2 replies!

thanks mike for the very informative reply at least i have a rough idea of how it would cost and what brands to look at for options. and yes, experience is priceless. sana makadating din ako sa point nakakayanin ko mag-DIY.. medyo sensitive nga lang ako sa upgrade / maintenance session na to kasi brakes ang usapan. thanks again!

xtian, thanks! i actually was considering dropping by hongly today but nightshift is a real ballbreaker. i've been seeing good reviews for hongly so i think that's the place to go.

for options, any good place in evangelista? dito kasi ako nasanay pumunta :P

edit: btw, is it required to get new wheel bearings if you get new rotors?

7. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    *mousepad,

No need to get new wheel bearings if you are going to get new brake rotors. By the way you can also try going to Speedlab in Quezon Ave. they might also brake rotors for your car.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    just called hongly and it seems na di pa nila sure kung meron. tawag daw uli ako after lunch. still keeping my hopes up though

about speedlab, i called them up once but the person i talked to wasn't sure if they had stock or if any other rotor was compatible. it's quite a long drive to speedlab so i wouldnt want to risk travelling without being sure if they have parts or not..

anyway, here's a backup plan.. what other cars have the same specs as my discs? at least kung alam ko, madali nang maghanap since baka may common car akong pwedeng banggitin pag naghahanap.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    looks like hongly is also having trouble finding rotors, kaunti lang kasi ang may ganitong model ng kotse... also, got in touch with speedlab and the slotted discs need an minimum waiting time of 3 weeks! aaaand it costs 10,500 petot.

mukhang mapapamahal ako ah..

anyway, was able to get in touch with Goodgear pasay and they have OEM rotors that will do just fine. they're not slotted but it will do the job. di lang gaanong maporma pero it would cost only 890 pesos each!

890 pesos is quite cheap compared to what miked posted. nagulat nga ako eh. does this price sound right? sobrang gulat ko inulit ko pa car model ko at yung OEM part na kailangan ko. guy at goodgear repeats that it's 890 pesos each. no mistake.

any feedback for goodgear? does the price make sense? if the place is good, i may also have my suspension done there (was originally considering Cruven Sucat).

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mousepad View Post
    looks like hongly is also having trouble finding rotors, kaunti lang kasi ang may ganitong model ng kotse... also, got in touch with speedlab and the slotted discs need an minimum waiting time of 3 weeks! aaaand it costs 10,500 petot.

mukhang mapapamahal ako ah..

anyway, was able to get in touch with Goodgear pasay and they have OEM rotors that will do just fine. they're not slotted but it will do the job. di lang gaanong maporma pero it would cost only 890 pesos each!

890 pesos is quite cheap compared to what miked posted. nagulat nga ako eh. does this price sound right? sobrang gulat ko inulit ko pa car model ko at yung OEM part na kailangan ko. guy at goodgear repeats that it's 890 pesos each. no mistake.

any feedback for goodgear? does the price make sense? if the place is good, i may also have my suspension done there (was originally considering Cruven Sucat).
    Mura talaga sa Goodgear dahil sila mismo importer/distributor ng pyesa. I think sister company nila ang Fronte in Banawe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Advise regarding replacing disc rotors