New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Hi

noob here, My new car has no safety features at all except seatbelt. Being a family man i would love to have a safety feature in my car specially if im driving with my family...you'll never know. my question is can i buy an abs brake or an airbag or whatever saftey feature that TOTL has and install it in my car?

replies are very much appreciated.

thank you*
    DDDDDDD

2. Join Date
    May 2010
    Sad to say, retrofitting to install an Anti-lock braking system or airbags would cost you money and might not be a perfect fit. If you want to be a safe driver, drive safely and carefully, since you have a family.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Alam ko hindi pwede magadd on ng abs

4. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    assuming possible, retrofitting might be too close to the actual depreciated value of your car. better sell your current ride and buy a new or second hand with these as standard.

should u want to pursue, there would be no definitive test to check if your conversion will work. you might be looking for more trouble during an emergency.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    IMO sana TOTL nalang binili mo at the first place

Kasi baka mas malaki pa sa price ng TOTL variant yung magagastos mo pag pinalagyan mo..

It's not so easy to retrofit ABS, but it's technically possible. Cost is the major issue, so if you're intending to have it for cheap forget it. It doesn't worth to save money on safety features, because a badly-installed safety device will not work properly. BTW there are some mechanical-ABS systems, used in motorcycles and some Chinese vans (Jinbei Haise, Foton, among others), and are quite easy to install - I have even done some mechanical-ABS retrofits...

7. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Trade in your new car and get the TOTL line car with the safety features that you want. This is a much better solution

8. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    How about disc brake? can i convert my rear drum break to disc?

9. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    gusto mo pala sir yung mga safety feature.. sana yung car na may ganyan na lang ang binili nyo..

i agree sell your car and get one with those safety features for your peace of mind.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    You can convert rear drums to discs if there's a variant of your car that had rear discs. You'll have to get the whole assembly and the handbrake equipment... and whether the brake proportioning valve will work will depend on whether the valving is the same for the disc-equipped version and the drum-equipped one.

Complicated? Yes. Worth it? Depends. My Sentra with rear drums stopped better than my other Sentras with rear discs. The only advantage is rear-discs are more reliable in floods (doesn't matter... you shouldn't be driving fast enough to need them) and easier to maintain... that's it. Hell... my disc-and-drum Sentra stopped BETTER than my four-wheel disc, ABS-equipped one.

Want a safer car? Upgrade to a safer car. Want to make your car safer? Don't waste money on fiddly mechanical conversions... buy the best brake pads you can get for your car (typically Bendix Metal Kings... R-Spec pads and Bendix regulars are garbage), upgrade to DOT4 brake fluid and spend extra on better tires... sports tires like Potenzas or even Kumho Ecsta SPTs will provide better braking performance than ordinary "economy" tires.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast