New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Dear Fellow Owners of Subaru Vehicles,

I recently purchased a brand new Forester 2.0X (non-turbo). Although my buying experience has not been without any difficulties and challenges, I have one adverse comment about my ride: ENGINE VIBRATION.

I noted the vibration on the same day that I got the car. I found it very annoying. My driver-friend noticed it and so did a staff at Motor Image Pilipinas.

They told me that this is a global phenomenon. To their credit, they upgraded my ECU to address my complaint. I got my car back last Saturday and noticed that the vibration had reduced a bit. Still, the unusual vibration remains. I can't help but notice this because I have a 7-year old German car that doesn't have this problem. My old car is way smoother at idle.

By posting this, I'd like to find out whether my experience with engine vibration on the Subaru Forester is singular to my unit or is indeed a global phenomenon.

I look forward to your feedback. Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    maybe the idle was set too low to reduce fuel consumption.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Balik mo pa yan Steve. Although mine is a FXT, my NVH feels as good, if not better, than an accord. May konting vibration siya pero only when I start and it's not really noticeable inside. Nakikita mo lang yung harap nagse-shake.BTW, didn't you notice when you test-drove? O ibang model yung tinest-drive mo? I doubt naman the engine difference could have such a big effect on the NVH kaya palagay ko dapat ibalik mo pa.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    I have a 2.5XT and I have exactly the same problem. Hard to believe that it's a "global phenomenon" since low vibration is supposedly one of the features of a boxer engine. My engine vibrates so much that i get rattling sounds uner my hood that is audible inside the cabin. Sent it back and all they did was to raise the idling. They raised it to almost 1k RPM pero bumalik pa rin after a while.

A few rattles also appeared after a month of use. It was somwhere up on the roof so brought to M.I. to have it fixed. They disassembled the entire roof and cargo compartment and found a loose screw. Unfortunately, they did a poor job of putting everything back together. I got my car back with oil stains all over the place, damage on one of the rear seatbelts and loose fittings everywhere. To top it off, the single rattle on the roof was replaced by 3 more: 2 in the cargo area and a new one on the roof.

M.I. really needs to shape up in the service department. I'd hate to see their good cars ruined by shoddy service.

My ride is up for PMS next month and I'm hoping they improve. Kung hindi, ....

5. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    I haven't really noticed vibration on mine -- at least not yet. But I visited subaruforester.org for you guys, did a search, and found 2 things:PART I:Hi,I'm looking for some advice on an MY06 Forester XT that I'm thinking of buying. While test driving the car, I've noticed that the engine is slightly rough at idle. The problem is the same hot or cold but the vibration seems to reduce when I give it some gas. The dealer assures me that he'll be able to fix this with a software change on the ECU. Should I be worried about this? There are still 24 months left on the warranty. Also, the tracking seems to be slightly off, with the car pulling slightly to the left. Everything else looks really clean though.I really like the car, but I don't want to buy a dodgy one! Any ideas would be welcome because I'm new to Subaru.ThanksTell the dealer to go ahead and fix it with the reflash - it should cost them basically nothing but a little labor - and that you'll come back to test drive after they're done. Then they'll come up with excuses because there isn't a Subaru reflash to smooth out the idle. It's just the nature of this motor that it's a bit lumpy. You won't notice it off idle.PART II:Originally Posted by 91sleeper Now i'm no torque expert but since when does a horn require 700ft/lbs? i mean i know subarus are built to last but i had no idea that they took so much pride in their horns staying well attatched. OMG!!! You didn't loosen THAT bolt, did you??I thought you'd seen the warning label, but perhaps it was at an angle you can't read it.That is the set bolt. If you loosen it, then none of the bolts that hold your car together will stay in torque spec anymore. It's what holds your car together. Now maybe, just maybe if you tighten it back up, your car will hold together. If not......don't blame me when bolts start falling out.Apparently, forumers know more about their foresters than MI does...so basically, kung konti lang, normal lang. Kung masyadong malakas, maaaring engine alignment.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    pansin ko din yan sa WRX. akala ko normal lang. pero feel ko vibration paghawak mo ng stick.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by yuichi View Post
    pero feel ko vibration paghawak mo ng stick.
    meron din konting vibration sakin (yung engine,pero mas malakas sa intercooler) and sa stick din.. tinanong ko rin sa mga 03 to 05 impreza owners..ganun din sa kanila.

try ninyo i-PM si jjmichaels..may forester din siya.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    when i first drove my Forester ('05), unang napansin ko rin yung rough idle and the "smushy" feeling brakes. after 45K miles, i'm not sure kung nawala na yung rough idle, or i just got used to it.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Your feedback is giving me a sense of the commonality of our experiences. It gives me some relief that the vibration is not unique to my unit or engine.

Nevertheless, I am bothered by this "state of affairs" of the Subaru engine. Aren't boxers supposed to have less vibration than in-line and V-configured engine layouts? What's going on here?

I'd like to wait and see for the feedback of more Subaru owners. I'd like to know just how rampant this phenomenon is in the Philippine market. If we can muster a sizeable number of owners who are bothered by this, then maybe we can all band together and make proper representations with the master franchise owner of Subaru vehicles in Asia.

There's got to be a better response we should get from the Motor Image Group. I'm sure this can be explained away. But I didn't choose this car for the good excuses or explanations they offer. I got it because I believed it has got something far better to offer than the usual choices.

To sum up my experience, at idle, the engine shakes and vibrates intermittently, like a diesel engine, at certain stages in the cycle. Is this anything like yours?

I look forward to more of your feedback.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by yuichi View Post
    pansin ko din yan sa WRX. akala ko normal lang. pero feel ko vibration paghawak mo ng stick.
    Nag vi vibrate talaga yung stick ng Subaru parang "feature" na talaga nila yung na malikot yung stick. Even when you drive the highest-end JDM STIs with their specially balanced engines, you'll actually see the stick move around on its own! Wild!

But it doesn't mean the engine itself is vibrating... If you leave the stick alone, you can feel that the car's chassis stays smooth throughout the rev range.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Subaru Engine Vibration