New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Excerpts taken from Autocar UK.
    http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...ncepts/232133/
    http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...ncepts/232174/

Toyota and Subaru are joining forces to develop a sensational new sports coupé together, shown above in an Autocar image.

An inside source revealed top-secret sketches, showing that the car’s brief is to be compact, lightweight, rear drive and fast. Although the Subaru and Toyota versions of this coupé will look different from one another around the front and rear, both will be powered by Subaru’s 2.0-litre flat four engine, making this the first time that a Subaru boxer engine has powered a Toyota.

A naturally aspirated version of the petrol boxer engine with 175bhp is being considered for the base model, and there is potential for a hot 2.5-litre turbocharged model later.

This will be a car inspired by the classic rear-drive AE86 Toyota Corolla GT coupé from the 1980s, a car known for tail-happy handling. Yet beneath the skin we can expect a reworked Impreza, shortened, lightened and with a bespoke coupé body.

Subaru’s trademark four-wheel drive system will be ditched to save weight, complexity and cost. However,
    if the standard model is a success then later plans could include a spiritual successor to the Toyota Celica GT4, featuring the 2.5-litre turbo boxer engine and four-wheel drive.

Affordability is the priority for this so-called ‘Toyobaru’. Costs will be driven down thanks to technology sharing between the two car makers. Sources suggest that the coupé could cost as little as £10,000 in Japan, but it’s likely to be closer to £20k in the UK, rising to £25k for the turbo model. Subaru will build the car at its Gunma plant in Japan, while Toyota is in charge of development.

The final design of the coupé is due to be signed off in July, with production set for 2010. Toyota, which holds an eight per cent stake in Subaru, is said to be keen to attract Japan’s disaffected youth with a Mazda MX-5 rival. In fact, an open-top derivative of this coupé could be another longer-term option.

After a launch in Japan, it’s believed the new coupé’s main market will be North America, but it should also make it to the UK. There’s a big market here for sports coupés and Toyota could benefit from an enthusiast’s car that revives the lustre of the Celica.
    Subaru and Toyota have officially announced that they will make the rear-drive coupé revealed on autocar.co.uk earlier this week.

An official release stated, “The compact rear-wheel drive sports car is envisioned to offer a new ‘fun to drive’ experience based on an all-new vehicle platform.”

The firms also confirmed that Subaru’s boxer engine will be used to power the car, and that production should start in 2010.

Subaru will release its version of the coupé in late 2010, a few months before Toyota, which will launch the car in early 2011.

Production is due to take place at a new Subaru factory in Gunma, Japan, which is yet to be built.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Parang Bad news sakin yan
    Di na sya subaru pag tinanggal AWD Parang BMW na front wheel drive ang dating. He he

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I guess Toyota must see a market once more for a low-cost RWD coupe seeing the Hyundai Genesis Coupe is slated for release next year.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    The article says Toyota plans the coupe to be an AE86 replacement...which is a long time coming.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    I find it a bit weird lang that they're sticking with the boxer engines across the range. As much as I love the growl of a flat-four, a screaming inline-4 also has its charms, and I think that would be a bit more suitable for the Toyota version at least.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    I'm also not too keen on the idea of a non-AWD Subaru, although I think they do have a few FWD kei cars in the Japan market. Better RWD drive than FWD though :D

So, in my ideal world, the versions would be something like...
    Toyota: inline-4, RWD
    Subaru: flat-4, AWD

Just to keep them differentiated enough. And it goes without saying that the two should look nothing alike...

7. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    AFAIK po, it will be a Toyota car, just using Subaru engine and (we hope) design. Kung ganun nga, it's a good deal for Suby.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    finally they will release a cheap rwd toyota!

sawang sawa na ako sa mga FWD na kotse kaya di ko pa rin binibitawan boxtype ko kasi walang matinong rwd na mura these days. Well I just hope toyota can bring this here under the same japanese price. Feel ko baka umabot ulit to ng 1.5million kasi iimport pa sa japan.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Turbocharged 2.5 RWD sana matuloy puro na lang kasi FWD and AWD

10. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Mahal yan for sure, iba ang taxes sa mga sports cars dito because they aren't considered as utilitarians.
    iam3739.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
NEWS: Subaru, Toyota to co-develop RWD Impreza-based coupe!