New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pup2 View Post
    OK, whetaminit kapeng mainit. The 08 Impreza WRX hatch DOES appear to be de-tuned, possibly for easier driveability. In the latest C! mag issue, its 0-100kph test time is at over 7+ seconds! Compared to the 07-08 FXT, the WRX is now SLOWER by about 1.5 seconds -- on top of less weight!

So it would appear, likely or not, that they DELIBERATELY slowed the car down? Dunno how smart that is.

Pero naisip ko nga pala, di ba hindi naman WRX ang ka-match ng Evo at rather ay ang STi? Eh di misleading yung comparo. PLUS, although wala sa ibang bansa, the STi SEDAN is a looker like the Evo also.

Still think the price and after sales are issues for the Evo. Even the STi doesn't sell as much as the WRX (hehe. Dahil ba may moon roof ang WRX?). But wouldn't de-tuning it turn the buyers off?

I mean, wouldn't new WRX owers be turned off by being smoked by big-a$$ Foresters?
    Maybe the testers were doing a street start which is moving from a stop normally. Once 5 mph is reached, then they punch it.

Of course, this would be the most disadvantageous for a turbo because of the turbo lag/low rpm's.

Car and Driver did a test of the 2008 WRX and had 0-60mph times of 5.8 sec. But, doing a street start (5-60mph), it was 7.4 sec.

Car And Driver Test 2008 WRX

Street start is sort of important because it's how many drivers drag race each other (legally) without the cops noticing or caring.

Of course, any self-respecting turbo owner will make sure the rpm's are up in turbo range.

Add: Every Friday night, I see many kids engage in these drag races on city streets. Normally, they'd go 0-55mph-0 going from one stoplight to the next. Most of them do the street start thing including unfortunately, many turbo owners who don't realize what they're getting into.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; February 25th, 2008 at 08:25 PM.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pup2 View Post
    OK, whetaminit kapeng mainit. The 08 Impreza WRX hatch DOES appear to be de-tuned, possibly for easier driveability. In the latest C! mag issue, its 0-100kph test time is at over 7+ seconds! Compared to the 07-08 FXT, the WRX is now SLOWER by about 1.5 seconds -- on top of less weight!

So it would appear, likely or not, that they DELIBERATELY slowed the car down? Dunno how smart that is.

Pero naisip ko nga pala, di ba hindi naman WRX ang ka-match ng Evo at rather ay ang STi? Eh di misleading yung comparo. PLUS, although wala sa ibang bansa, the STi SEDAN is a looker like the Evo also.

Still think the price and after sales are issues for the Evo. Even the STi doesn't sell as much as the WRX (hehe. Dahil ba may moon roof ang WRX?). But wouldn't de-tuning it turn the buyers off?

I mean, wouldn't new WRX owers be turned off by being smoked by big-a$$ Foresters?
    Ssst... C! does its testing the same way for every car. Gentle 2000 rpm launch (no drop-clutch funniness) with two people on board and the AC on.

This is possibly more representative of the way most people drive from stoplight to stoplight... but it invariably favors cars with more torque and good automatics.

The WRX is probably tuned more for top-end zing than the Forester, on which the boost comes on relatively quickly.

Plus, you can't escape the fact that different testers may interpret "gentle launch" differently. Though I think Kookie Ramirez does most of the acceleration testing, I can't say whether he does it all.

Mid-7 on C! is probably 6 to 6.5 seconds for a hard launch... whereas the Forester 2.5 XT AT probably does 0-100 in around 7 seconds with torque braking. (some of their other numbers are off, too... don't know if it's more aggressive launching, or V-Box issues.)

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    The WRX is probably tuned more for top-end zing than the Forester, on which the boost comes on relatively quickly.
    I don't think the WRX hits peak boost quicker than the Foz..The Upcoming '09 Forester XT and the current '08 WRX STILL has and share the same Mitsubishi developed TD04H 13T turbo from the previous models and hits full boost * 11.9 psi. (11.5psi on MY2002-2007 WRX & 2004-2008 Forester XT)

Let's not forget gear ratios as well ;)

4. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    psssh! evo smeeevo!! lol

5. Join Date
    May 2006
    Kung hindi harang ang price ng Evo, pwede pa.

2.25 lang yung present STi, tapos 2.8 yung Evo!?! Same class and price sa US, so obviously sa margin na lahat napunta, considering niche ang market ng Subaru locally.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Evo ako this time. Subaru kinda messed up the design of the new Scooby. When I see em on the road, prang wala lng. mas maganda parin ung previous Pretz.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Ssst... C! does its testing the same way for every car. Gentle 2000 rpm launch (no drop-clutch funniness) with two people on board and the AC on.

This is possibly more representative of the way most people drive from stoplight to stoplight... but it invariably favors cars with more torque and good automatics.
    Not sure about a good A/T unless it has a surplus of hp to spare. But definitely those bigger-engined/naturally aspirated and supercharged cars which have both torque and no turbo lag. With two people, that adds weight which is another disadvantage for the smaller engines.

C!'s acceleration tests seem similar to Car and Driver's 5-60mph street start although the latter does not specify what rpm they use at launch.

It does show an advantage to N/A cars. For example, the new 2008 Accord V6 does 0-60mph of 5.6 sec on a hard launch. It doesn't lose much with a street start of 5.9 sec.

Mid-7 on C! is probably 6 to 6.5 seconds for a hard launch... whereas the Forester 2.5 XT AT probably does 0-100 in around 7 seconds with torque braking. (some of their other numbers are off, too... don't know if it's more aggressive launching, or V-Box issues.)
    I'd go with very low-6's with the A/T Forester 2.5XT on a hard launch and and mid-7's for a street launch*. A bit watered down. But, it's still sleeper performance.

*Car and Driver has upper 5's and low-7's for the M/T version.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by safeorigin View Post
    that's he called it a softie, duh? i only wonder how the imprezza was able to beat the evo in the riceboys' test runs. must have beaten it on the straights.
    ayan na naman Evo vs Imprezas. Evos and STIs always have their own share of wins and losses on tests. Evos handle better but what goes with that is a very harsh ride, while STIs are stiff but not as bad, actually malayo (stock to stock).

i still dont understand why Evos are pricey locally. lots of ex- future Evo owners bought STIs, spent about 50-100k on upgrades to match/surpass Evos' handling.

that 7.0 0-100 is really misleading. 5.5 secs standing start is enough 0-100. the 06 versions have rich low-end torque.

but WRX is a WRX. it's not in the same league as the Evo/STI. but is a very good platform for upgrades, with about P60-P80K of mods asa stock Evo/STI territory ka na or even faster. talo ka lang sa tranny pag above 300 whp na.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by yuichi View Post
    but WRX is a WRX. it's not in the same league as the Evo/STI.
    True...
    Impreza WRX STI = Lancer EVO
    Impreza WRX = Lancer Ralliart

10. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    WRX has no top-end to speak of. At about 4500rpm you're already at peak power, and you wont be getting any more even if you rev to the 6.5k redline. The breathing apparatus on the car is really just that restrictive.

To tell the truth I'm beginning to think I'd have been better off with a Forester, were it not for the abundance of CUVs/SUVs in our household. IMO the ideal rally refugee garage would have the FXT, and either an STI or an Evo.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Jeremy Clarkson on Subaru Impreza 2.5 WRX (December 9, 2007)