New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2012
    A friend is offering me his. I never had a Subaru before, and I need your help deciding.

1.) My main concern of course (it's old) is the maintenance. I'm sure it'll cost me higher since the availability of the parts is a downside. Or maybe I'm wrong?

2.) fuel consumption. It's an AT and gasoline so I might be expecting 4-6km/L pure city driving?

3.) durability. Of course I'll still check the overall condition but in terms of overall durability do you think a Subaru this old will still endure?

Thanks in advance!

2. Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Anyone?

3. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Check the car first.

CONDITION matters, mileage is irrelevant.

Subaru parts will cost you. Thats the bottomline.

Fuel consumption is relevant on how you treat the go pedal. It'll be quite thirsty, considering that its a slush box.

Durability? Subjective yan. If its well maintained, it'll run for decades. That's for sure.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by lowslowbenz View Post
    Check the car first.

Fuel consumption is relevant on how you treat the go pedal. It'll be quite thirsty, considering that its a slush box.

Durability? Subjective yan. If its well maintained, it'll run for decades. That's for sure.
    Thanks for the short, yet complete answer. All boils down to the condition.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by lowslowbenz View Post
    Check the car first.

A seller is offering me 2002 Subaru Forester sf5.

What are the known issues of this model and what would be the items that I should check before getting it that are not the usual ones (e.g. engine leaks, suspension, etc..)?

6. Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Id have to recommend against it. The high price of parts and limited quick availability within the Philippines would make it a poor choice I think.