New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Parang naging telenovela yung buhay....hehehe

Details have emerged of Wesley So's family turmoil, which include demands for bank details and a tug-of-war between his mother and the family he's living with in the US

Ignacio Dee
    Published 4:24 PM, Apr 13, 2015
    Updated 6:12 PM, Apr 13, 2015

MANILA, Philippines - Wesley So finished third in a US Chess Championship stained by four losses in St. Louis Monday morning, but a few hours later a battle between his mother and a former movie actress whose family took him in last year flared up on chess websites.

There will be no early resolution, like in the effortless way that So beat Kayden Troff, his last round foe. This comes a few days before he is to compete in the super-strong tournament in Azerbaijan which will be led by world champion Magnus Carlsen and former titleholder Viswanathan Anand.

Eleanor So, in an interview with chessdom.com said: "Wesley happily met us before the opening ceremony and won his first two games," said Eleanor.

Since leaving Webster University late last year, So has been living with the family of Lotis Key and her husband, former PBA cager Renato Kabigting in Minnetonka, which is located in Minnesota.

Eleanor So says that the actress, Lotis Key, has “smeared” her family and accused her of sabotaging the 21-year-old’s chess career.

"Clearly after the next day, he changed completely," Eleanor continues. "He sent me an email about bank info in Canada. I was calling him but he ignored me. Lotis told him something like he needed to be back in his room, and they walked hurriedly, leaving us behind."

It is not known how much is the amount involved but this is said to include life savings, the monthly allowance of P40,000 from the Philippine Sports Commission while So was playing for the Philippines and tournament prize money.

Eleanor said the next day they were banned from the playing venue "as per instructed by Wes.

“On April 7, I received an email saying, 'Give me all my bank information, my savings and all the investment that you have made there.' I simply told him to come to Canada.

"I then received three emails which were very disturbing. Wesley has never used this kind of language before," she added.

In the April 11 edition of the Minneapolis Star Tribune, Key said: "At one point, So’s mother and aunt confronted him outside the chess club after his game, trying to grab his arm and yelling at him when he wouldn’t go with them to talk, according to Key and So. That led to an apology by So to the club for the scene, and a request that the mother and aunt be banned from the tournament site. "

"Key said So’s mother admitted to her that So’s former chess coach at Webster had a hand in her trip to St. Louis to confront her son, including reserving a hotel room for her.

Key and So said the former coach, Paul Truong, was angry over losing one of the world’s top players from his team when So left Webster. “Wesley fell apart after that, knowing that his own biological family was working with his worst enemy,” Key said. “Paul will never forgive Wesley for leaving Webster.”'

Key added that “three adults conspired to destroy a kid.”

Truong denied these charges to Chessbase editor-in-chief Fred Friedel.

Around noon Monday, a post appeared on Wesley So's Facebook page, referring to his mother by her first name, saying: “All your statements to Chessdom are sad, ridiculous and completely untrue... I was desperately trying to be nice hoping you and Susan would leave quickly. I see that it is a mistake."

"It was not the Key family who wanted to go on to the media. It was me who pushed them to speak out for me because I was going crazy with anger, after you revealed to us your involvement with Paul Truong," the post reads.

So accuses his mother of abandoning him at age 16, "telling me to become a man and find my life." More troubling is So alluding to his savings account, which he insinuates has been emptied.

"So how about my bank account numbers please? You know? My life savings, you said [you] were keeping for me when I was a minor. I have already contacted Royal Bank of Canada, and strangely, the bulk of my savings is not there. Want to explain that publicly?" the post reads. - Rappler.com

2. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    https://chessdailynews.com/wesley-so...er-speaks-out/

For years, Wesley always entrusted his savings with his dad, which were all in Canadian bank, excluding his latest earnings starting winnings in Millionaire’s chess.

On April 7, 2015, I received an email saying, “Give me all my bank information, my savings, and all the investment that you made there.” I simply told him to come to Canada.

I then received 3 emails which are very disturbing. Wesley has never used this kind of language to me before.

What is even more disturbing is the last 2 emails came at the time when Wesley was still playing his games. This clearly shows that Lotis was purposely trying to drive a bigger wedge between my son and I.

“From: GMWSO <gmwso*xxxxxx>

Date: Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 10:36 PM

Subject: Re: Bank Details in Canada

To: ELEANOR SO <soeleanor23*xxxxxx>

Dear Leny,

You must be f…cking happy that I am losing all my games here in the US Championships. You ruined my tournament and you only care about yourself. I don’t ever want to see you on any of my tournaments again….

****** INA KA TALAGA. I PUT THE BLAME ON YOU FOR RUINING THIS F…CKING TOURNAMENT.

Wesley

Date: Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 3:03 PM

Subject:

You know, F…CK YOU …. for ruining my tournament….****** INA. You are the most worthless mother I know.

Date: Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 4:54 PM

Subject:

To: ELEANOR SO <soeleanor23*xxxxxxx>

And you know you better not steal my money in Canada. I don’t care nawalangkwenta kayo ni William namagulang, just give me back ALL my savings. MAGNANAKAW”
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

https://chessdailynews.com/wesley-sos-mother-speaks-out/

For years, Wesley always entrusted his savings with his dad, which were all in Canadian bank, excluding his latest earnings starting winnings in Millionaire’s chess.

On April 7, 2015, I received an email saying, “Give me all my bank information, my savings, and all the investment that you made there.” I simply told him to come to Canada.

I then received 3 emails which are very disturbing. Wesley has never used this kind of language to me before.

What is even more disturbing is the last 2 emails came at the time when Wesley was still playing his games. This clearly shows that Lotis was purposely trying to drive a bigger wedge between my son and I.

“From: GMWSO <gmwso*xxxxxx>

Date: Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 10:36 PM

Subject: Re: Bank Details in Canada

Dear Leny,

You must be f…cking happy that I am losing all my games here in the US Championships. You ruined my tournament and you only care about yourself. I don’t ever want to see you on any of my tournaments again….

****** INA KA TALAGA. I PUT THE BLAME ON YOU FOR RUINING THIS F…CKING TOURNAMENT.

Wesley

Date: Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 3:03 PM

Subject:

You know, F…CK YOU …. for ruining my tournament….****** INA. You are the most worthless mother I know.

Date: Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 4:54 PM

Subject:

To: ELEANOR SO <soeleanor23*xxxxxxx>

And you know you better not steal my money in Canada. I don’t care nawalangkwenta kayo ni William namagulang, just give me back ALL my savings. MAGNANAKAW”

3. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    the root of all evil is...... MONEY...

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008

there's a lot of (missing) information that is not mentioned here.
    ...dangerous to assume anything..

and money is not the root of all evil. it's the "love of money"..

5. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    money is neutral.

Quote Originally Posted by shelu View Post

money is neutral.

Quote Originally Posted by shelu View Post

6. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    sad to hear this personal turmoil wesley is experiencing.

natalo nga siya sa isang game sa us championships a few days ago kasi distracted daw siya. itong family issue siguro isa sa mga iniisip niya

sad to hear this personal turmoil wesley is experiencing.

natalo nga siya sa isang game sa us championships a few days ago kasi distracted daw siya. itong family issue siguro isa sa mga iniisip niya