New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Dangerous secret in the colored straws
    Posted Feb 16, 2008 by Hannie

This horrible story of mine goes back to year 2005 March.
    I ordered a Club Sandwich and a Sprite in a restaurant somewhere in Manila
    When I finished half of the sandwich, I sipped the sprite.
    But it didn't taste like the ordinary sprite I used to drink.
    So I sipped once more, but it still tasted the same.
    It tasted like sprite mixed with some kind of oil.
    I called the clerk and asked him if the sprite was expired. He said it was just delivered today. So I asked him to taste it. Then he also found that something was wrong with it.
    Both of us were wondering for a while. Then I got to look inside the straw.
    There were a lot of tiny black round things that looked like eggs.
    So I cut the middle of the straw lengthwise to have a better look.
    Yuck. There were a lot of tiny black round things in it.
    I suppose they were eggs of cockroach. About 1000 eggs were there.
    Then we began to check all the other straws in the straws case one by one.
    Almost all of them contained black eggs that seemed to be either the cockroach eggs or excretions.
    After the incident I began to check all the straws in the restaurants and fast food chains that I had gone to.
    Almost of all the straws contained the same black eggs.
    Especially the darker the colors of straws, the more black eggs were found.
    In black straws, extreme amount of black eggs were found.
    It was found out that it ¡s because the cockroaches live (hatch eggs and excrete) in dark places.
    Last edited by russpogi; April 16th, 2008 at 04:14 AM.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    tnx for the advice ..

So sad nga. It is true and that is the fact. Here, mostly all resto and big food chains are using straws wrapped with white paper. Yung iba namang fast food chains they are using 'red straws' placed inside a cannister or boxes. Pwera lang yung mga maliliit na food stalls na gumagamit talaga ng mga open straws. Kaya kung ako bibili ng meal sa kanila with drinks, di na ko humihingi ng straws kasi alam ko marumi.
    Last edited by awing; April 6th, 2008 at 09:55 PM.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Cockroaches lay one large pod which contains many eggs. It is physically impossible for that pod to fit inside a straw. However,what the email can be describing is their excrement which does resemble what the author is describing. Just clarifiying.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by bender View Post
    Cockroaches lay one large pod which contains many eggs. It is physically impossible for that pod to fit inside a straw. However,what the email can be describing is their excrement which does resemble what the author is describing. Just clarifiying.
    Was thinking of the same thing, roaches don't lay individual eggs but large pod sacks...

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I've already asked this question here at Pitstop before regarding the cleanliness of tissues and straws. Just try to peek inside the straw and you'll see lots of dirt/dust inside.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Thanks for the heads -up bro! Kala ko pa naman mas safe ang straws isip ko kasi hinawakan ng waiter yun lip ng baso kun san ka iinom kaya palagi straw ako. Pero yun straw nga pala hinawakan muna ng waiter bago isawsaw sa baso

8. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Some points to analyze:

If they were cockroach eggs, how were cockroaches able to lay them inside the straws or inside several straws? Did they take turns?

If they were excrements as suggested by some, the author sipped, sipped some more and then asked the clerk to sip, so when he cut open the straw there would've been none left since they swallowed them already?

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I would also like to know what sort of testing methodology and sample size the email sender used in determining the "amount of germs and cockroach excretion/eggs" found in the straws.

How many stores of each restaurant/fastfood chain did he visit? How many straws did he inspect? How was he able to assess the number of germs present (may baon ba sya na microscope)?

My monitor seems a bit fuzzy. Was the finding for "Local Restaurants" 22.5 percent or 225 percent? If it's the latter, how can you have more than 100 percent of the surface area of the straw covered by germs or roach excrement?

Also, how can we be sure that the email sender isn't working for McDonald's?

That said, I don't use straws when eating out --not because they may be dirty, which is entirely possible, but because it unnecessarily adds to the huge amount of trash that dining establishments generate daily.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by mikey177 View Post
    I would also like to know what sort of testing methodology and sample size the email sender used in determining the "amount of germs and cockroach excretion/eggs" found in the straws.

How many stores of each restaurant/fastfood chain did he visit? How many straws did he inspect? How was he able to assess the number of germs present (may baon ba sya na microscope)?

My monitor seems a bit fuzzy. Was the finding for "Local Restaurants" 22.5 percent or 225 percent? If it's the latter, how can you have more than 100 percent of the surface area of the straw covered by germs or roach excrement?

Also, how can we be sure that the email sender isn't working for McDonald's?

That said, I don't use straws when eating out --not because they may be dirty, which is entirely possible, but because it unnecessarily adds to the huge amount of trash that dining establishments generate daily.

yes, i coudn't agree with you more. we should always question the credibility of these emails, as they are very much damaging to the establishments involved.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Warn Your Families!