New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2006
    mabuhay ka viloria!

MANILA, Philippines - After getting the monkey off his back, reigning WBO flyweight champion Brian Viloria finally has time to take boxing off his mind.

In a few days he goes on a honeymoon with his lovely wife Erika. They’ll be in Europe to see what London and Paris have to offer.

“It’s time to rest and time to enjoy the honeymoon I promised my wife two years ago,” said Viloria at the Ynares Sports Center yesterday.

Just moments ago he stopped old rival Omar Niño Romero of Mexico inside nine rounds, in a victory that may be the sweetest of all for Viloria.

“It’s a big psychological win for me. The monkey’s off my back,” said the 31-year-old Viloria after his third fight with the native of Guadalajara, Mexico.

Romero beat Viloria the first time in 2006, and the succeeding rematch ended in a draw that was eventually ruled a no-contest after the Mexican failed a dope test.

Romero skipped the post-fight press con, and word that reached the media was that “he wanted to go home.”

The Mexican protested the way referee Mike Ortega stepped in to halt the fight in the 2:07 mark of the ninth round, when he took a series of blows and wobbled in his own corner.

“If he was surprised by the stoppage, I was not. I knew he was hurt and it was just a matter of time. It is what it is,” said Viloria who was already on Twitter a couple of hours after the fight.

“Happy Mother’s Day to all the moms out there,” he posted.

“Omar was unfinished business for Brian,” said Viloria’s manager, Gary Gittelsohn, now eyeing a unification bout with WBA 112 lb king Hernan “Tyson” Marquez.

“I think it’s the bigger and easier fight to make because Marquez brings a lot more to the table than (Roman) Gonzalez. It will be a unification bout,” said Gittelsohn.

Gonzalez is the WBA light-flyweight champion from Nicaragua. He’s a southpaw, undefeated in 32 fights with 27 knockouts.

Brian Viloria raises his arms in victory after retaining his WBO title against Mexican Omar Niño Romero yesterdayin Pasig. VAL RODRIGUEZ

“It’s interesting but only if he comes up to 112,” said Gittelsohn.

Viloria faced the media at the oven-hot press center with an icepack over his right hand, flanked by Gittelsohn and trainer Ruben Gomez.

Yes, it took the Vilorias two years before they could go on a honeymoon, because the last two years have been testy ones for Viloria.

He was written off after losing his IBF light-fly crown to Carlos Tamara at the Cuneta in 2010. But he refused to roll over and die, and bounced back.

Viloria scored back-to-back wins then snatched the WBO flyweight title from Julio Cesar Miranda in July last year, and defending it against Giovani Segura last December.

Miranda saw action yesterday, and took a beating from former world champion Rodel Mayol who floored the Mexican in the first, second and fifth rounds en route to a unanimous victory.

Then the challenge to face Romero a third time came. Viloria knew he needed to do the fight, and once and for all slay the ghost from Guadalajara.

“I trained 3 ½ months for this fight. After the Segura fight I didn’t take time off. I was always out on the road in the morning and was at the gym in the afternoon,” said Viloria.

Erika sat a few meters to the presidential table, and listened as Viloria narrated how difficult it was to get himself in top shape for the Romero fight.

He wasn’t only in top shape. He was at his best.

Viloria was all over Romero from start to finish, and the Mexican looked dazed early on. Thrice he walked to the wrong corner at the bell, and the crowd jeered.

Romero started to bleed from the corner of his left eye in the fifth round, and there was no doubt he was taking a beating from his old victim.

Romero smiled each time he got hit. He smiled a lot. - By Abac Cordero (Philstar News Service, www.philstar.com)
    SOURCE: Viloria stops Mexican, keeps WBO title - Yahoo! News Philippines

2. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    ^ Nice win indeed by the hawaiian punch.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

Viloria stops Mexican, keeps WBO title