panalo UP and Ateneo kahapon.

Tiu powers Blue Eagles vs Archers

Away from the spotlight, Maroons upset Bulldogs
    By Jasmine W. Payo
    Philippine Daily Inquirer

GAMES THURSDAY (Philsports Arena)
    2 p.m.—NU vs UE
    4 p.m.—Ateneo vs Adamson

MANILA, Philippines—The start was hardly befitting the stature of the rivalry. A bizarre technical foul was called before the opening tip and the two teams traded turnovers right in their first possessions.
    But the end, like all Ateneo-La Salle matches, was another classic.
    Chris Tiu played the hero’s role to the hilt and the Ateneo de Manila University Blue Eagles tripped defending champion De La Salle University, 79-73, in the 71st UAAP men’s basketball competition Sunday in front of a 22,008-strong crowd at the Araneta Coliseum in Quezon City.
    The Eagles turned to the foul line to score their last eight points, with Tiu accounting for six in the final 2:56 minutes of the blockbuster showdown.
    “Every time we beat La Salle, it’s always a big win for us,” said Ateneo coach Norman Black. “It’s a good win for us. We wanted to get off to a good start. The earlier you get that first victory, the better it’s going to be for your confidence.”
    Tiu finished with a game-high 26 points on top of seven rebounds and two assists.
    “That’s what Chris Tiu does for us,” said Black. “I said it over and over again that he’s our best player and normally when it’s clutch time we go to him. And he delivered for us again. He’s just living up to his role.”
    The drama between the country’s fiercest varsity rivals started early as officials slapped a technical foul on the Archers even before the jumpball for violating a league rule.
    La Salle’s coaching staff failed to wear their official IDs on court—a mandatory rule this season—earning that strange technical foul.
    Tiu nailed both charity shots to give the Eagles a 2-0 lead.
    “I just couldn’t understand all the fuss about the IDs,” said La Salle coach Franz Pumaren.
    “The reason I wasn’t wearing an ID was because I was watching the NU and UP game and the NU coaching staff wasn’t wearing their IDs. I also watched the game between UST and UE, UST didn’t wear their IDs.”
    A Black outburst before the start of the fourth quarter also got him a technical “for disobeying the commissioner’s order.”
    “A referee warned me that if I said another word I’ll get a technical, and I couldn’t understand it because in the second half I didn’t say a word,” said Black.
    Ahead, 74-73, Ateneo watched Tiu pick up a foul from Hyram Bagatsing, shake off a bad fall and make two of three free throws to virtually seal the outcome.
    University of the Philippines earlier scored a breakthrough win with debuting coach Aboy Castro as the Maroons pulled off an 86-72 surprise victory over the National University in the first game.
    Martin Reyes shot a game-high 21 points as the Maroons, who lost all 14 elimination games last season, scooted to a 48-38 advantage built on a 51.5 percent shooting clip in the first half.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Odd calls for technical fouls. IDs are just for identification. Who doesn't know Franz Pumaren?!? And it's the first time I've heard of a call for "Disobeying the Commissioner's Orders." They should have called the fouls for the physical play between Rico and Jobe.

Anyway, congrats to Ateneo and UP. Ateneo still has a lot work on since they just got ahead by making the foul shots. Their plays weren't really executed well. It was great watching UP. Nobody should take them lightly. They're a whole new team.
    Last edited by Honda97; July 7th, 2008 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Grammar Check

3. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    going back to the game last sat:
    jervy cruz - 26 pts, 22 rebs. WOW! kaso talo rin. at kung hindi dahil sa mga mintis ng kakampi nya, baka di rin sya nakadaming rebounds. kelan ba gagawa ng matinong play, aside from 3 pts, si pido??

sa admu vs dlsu, dapat palaruin pa ni black si buenafe! ang galing ng bata di na ata pinasok nung 4th quarter. di ko rin nakita si justin chua. naglaro ba yun? malamang sa next games vs lesser teams na lang.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Honda97 View Post
    Odd calls for technical fouls. IDs are just for identification. Who doesn't know Franz Pumaren?!? And it's the first time I've heard of a call for "Disobeying the Commissioner's Orders." They should have called the fouls for the physical play between Rico and Jobe.

Anyway, congrats to Ateneo and UP. Ateneo still has a lot work on since they just got ahead by making the foul shots. Their plays weren't really executed well. It was great watching UP. Nobody should take them lightly. They're a whole new team.
    that was odd indeed. aside from tiu, al hussaini was also big for ateneo yesterday. i was surprised that he was consistently making all those jump hooks. la salle really had a chance to win despite poor free throw shooting. they should have just settled for quicks 2's late in the fourth instead of Casio all those three's.

i was only able to catch the latter part of the up NU game. Marfori is a solid player for UP.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by coiter View Post
    going back to the game last sat:
    jervy cruz - 26 pts, 22 rebs. WOW! kaso talo rin. at kung hindi dahil sa mga mintis ng kakampi nya, baka di rin sya nakadaming rebounds. kelan ba gagawa ng matinong play, aside from 3 pts, si pido??

sa admu vs dlsu, dapat palaruin pa ni black si buenafe! ang galing ng bata di na ata pinasok nung 4th quarter. di ko rin nakita si justin chua. naglaro ba yun? malamang sa next games vs lesser teams na lang.
    monster game by jervy cruz. kung ganyan ang stats nya malamang sya na naman ang MVP. Dylan ababou and co should step up. Di kaya ni jervy mag isa. malas nila UE kaagad nakatapat nila. loaded ang UE.

magaling sumagasa si buenafe kaso parang ang angas ng dating. pang tapat ng la salle si joshua webb pero parang pang high school pa ang katawan di tulad ni buenafe. oo, mukhang di nga naglaro si chua.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    question regarding ateneo, how come they were able to play Burke the new white boy from Faith. Di ba UAAP teams are only allowed to have 2 foreign players in the team? Ateneo already has Rabeh and Kirk in the line-up. Alam ko si Jobe is filipino. Pero looks like they are playing 3 foreigners in their line-up.

Pero I am impressed with Ryan Buenafe, parang pang veteran na maglaro. Mas nagmukhang rookie si Jai Reyes pag tinabi mo

7. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    i watched the game live last night. nice game for both team, very crucial ang laban. almost the whole game i was standing, too bad we lost (i was expecting it)

but with the line-up of ateneo, i was surprised that DLSU kept the game close.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by c_cube View Post
    i watched the game live last night. nice game for both team, very crucial ang laban. almost the whole game i was standing, too bad we lost (i was expecting it)

but with the line-up of ateneo, i was surprised that DLSU kept the game close.

actually, considering the way ateneo played, i was surprised that they won. pangit ng execution. they made it thru by making their foul shots.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Honda97 View Post
    actually, considering the way ateneo played, i was surprised that they won. pangit ng execution. they made it thru by making their foul shots.
    right, ADMU really capitalizes the charity strike while the DLSU was the other way around

that buenafe from ADMU will have a very bright career in UAAP.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Failed to watch the game between AdMU and DLSU yesterday... The former has the big boys while the latter is banking on experience... I'll just change rings depending on who wins between them....

However, I my heart is with DLSU....

6404:pump:

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
UAAP Season 2008