New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2010
    Tokyo has been chosen by the International Olympic Committee to host the 2020 Summer Games.

In voting Saturday in Buenos Aires, the committee picked Tokyo over the two other contenders, Madrid and Istanbul.

The announcement came at 5:20 a.m. Tokyo time, but a large crowd watching on an outdoor video screen burst into cheers.

Tokyo previously hosted the Summer Games in 1964.

Japan's bid for 2020 billed the city as the safe choice -- despite radiation leaking from the Fukushima nuclear plant. Prime Minister Shinzo Abe personally made a presentation to the committee and promised an effective cleanup.
    Tokyo to host 2020 Olympic games
    2020 Olympic host contenders 2020 Olympic host contenders
    2020 Olympics: The contenders pros, cons
    Brazil unveils Olympic park vision

"I am so happy, I am overjoyed," Abe told reporters at the post-announcement press conference.

"I would like to share this joy with the people back home. We've received so much support from the people of the IOC and I would also like to express my support to them. And to the people around the world.
    Tokyo to host 2020 Olympic Games - CNN.com

in other news:

TOKYO - Kohei Jinno fans out the black and white photos of his family posing proudly in front of their central Tokyo home, a house they were forced to leave ahead of the 1964 Olympic Games to make way for construction of the main stadium.

Now Jinno, 79, has to move again.

The public housing complex where he and his wife live, close to the stadium and the site of his former home - currently a parking lot - is slated to be destroyed as part of construction of a new stadium for the 2020 Summer Olympics, which Tokyo won the right to host again earlier this month.

"Fate has not been kind to me. It may be great fortune for the nation, but having to leave this place fills me with sadness," he told Reuters.

"I just feel that had it not been for the Olympics, my life would have been so different."

The current National Olympic Stadium, which holds an almost iconic place in Japanese hearts for being the site of the opening and closing ceremonies of the 1964 Games, when Japan became the first Asian nation to host the Olympics, is set to be demolished in 2014 to make way for newer facilities.

"I wish they wouldn't have the Olympics in Tokyo again," he said. "I can bear getting evicted if it's just the once in a lifetime. But twice? It's ridiculous."
    Olympics: Tokyo man to lose home to make way for stadium - again | Sports | GMA News Online

2. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Looking forward for a gold medal for the Philippine Team in Tokyo.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004

Welcome to the Neo-Tokyo games.

New events:
    Motorbike combat
    Psychic duels
    Post-nuclear pill-popping

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Tokyo Olympic Games could be cancelled if coronavirus not controlled, IOC member says | Sport | The Guardian

A senior member of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) said outright cancellation of the Games, rather than postponement or relocation, would be likely if the disease proved too dangerous for the event – which is scheduled to start on 24 July – to go ahead.

Dick Pound, a former Canadian swimming champion who has been on the IOC since 1978, estimated there is a three-month window – perhaps a two-month one – to decide the fate of the Tokyo Games, meaning a decision could be put off until late May.

“In and around that time, I’d say folks are going to have to ask: ‘Is this under sufficient control that we can be confident about going to Tokyo or not?’” Pound told Associated Press.

As the Games draw near, he said, “A lot of things have to start happening. You’ve got to start ramping up your security, your food, the Olympic Village, the hotels. The media folks will be in there, building their studios.”

If the IOC decides the games cannot go forward as scheduled in Tokyo, “you’re probably looking at a cancellation”, he said.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Tokyo Olympics hold test event without fans, top athletes | Inquirer Sports

Closed off competition.... No audience allowed.
    Last edited by Monseratto; March 6th, 2020 at 06:38 PM.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Monseratto View Post
    They should just postpone it if possible.

Sent from my SM-T725 using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Postpone na nila dahil pag sumali mga chinese athletes mahahawaan pa lalo lahat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post
    Postpone na nila dahil pag sumali mga chinese athletes mahahawaan pa lalo lahat.

naka-mask lahat.
    including the swimmers.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    naka-mask lahat.
    including the swimmers.
    Banned nga chinese eh. So wala silang mapapadang athletes.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post
    Banned nga chinese eh. So wala silang mapapadang athletes.

allow them, provided they wear masks.

or,
    we just want them banned, so's someones else can take the gold...

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast