viruses mutate

that's what viruses do

that's what viruses are good at

we live with viruses

our bodies try to adapt to viruses, viruses try to adapt to our bodies
    Quote Originally Posted by boybi View Post
    Baka kakapanood lang ng Mission Impossible
    there's a great possibility...

of course, it's given that viruses mutate...it's also possible that humans intervene in the process to make the new virus more virulent. when you leave them mutate on their own without the intervention of mad scientists, the damage won't be that deadly when at the first instance it's preventable or curable.

what we see in movies could also be true, although i am not a fan of fiction themed movies, because i can also create a better legal fiction... for some others genocide could just be a piece of fictional documentary...but hey, it's real.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    ab i
    when you leave them mutate on their own without the intervention of mad scientists, the damage won't be that deadly when at the first instance it's preventable or curable.
    you don't need a mad scientist to create a deadlier strain of a virus or bacteria

all you need is natural selection

like drug resistant TB

patients with active TB who do not take the entire course of TB drugs turn their bodies into factories of XDR TB

the drugs they take are able to wipe out the less resistant/more dominant strains but do not enitirely wipe out the more resistant/less dominant strains

the more resistant/less dominant strains now multiply and become the dominant strain

then the TB patient infects others with that strain

that's how XDR TB developed

no mad scientist needed

5. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post

no mad scientist needed
    but there's human intervention.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    you mean there's human intervention coz people take antibiotics?

but it's not like the goal of taking antibiotics IS to create drug resistant microbes

people take antibiotics with the intention to get well

not create drug resistant mutants

7. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    ^^don't confine your understanding on mutation to improper taking of antibiotics..somatic mutation is caused by environmental factors, ranging form ultraviolet radiation to a lot more, and yes the improper taking of antibiotics, to which the main proposition of beereo which i assented to has been subsumed.

so when we speak of environmental factors, humans have a lot to contribute....if it were just a case of prudent study for scientific advancement then they should be prudent enough to prevent the creation of a more virulent virus that can harm you. so if they create something to destroy a large number of people, don't you think they are not mad?

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    evolution is far ahead of science

don't expect science to prevent newer, deadlier microbes from evolving

simpler organisms can adapt to the environment faster than us humans

just coz we have scientific advancements doesnt mean science can keep humans from getting killed by microbes

microbes don't care about science

they evolve... that's what their genetic code programmed them to do

hey, people still die of measles and pneumonia and TB... there's your scientific advancement

just coz a virus is killing people, sinadya na ng tao

whatda?!

we are not living in the Star Trek universe where there's a cure for every disease

people have the notion that present day science is so advanced, people think there's a cure for everything

or science can prevent death

malayo pa tayo dun
    Last edited by uls; April 29th, 2009 at 01:09 PM.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Baka sa pagtatalo niyo dito, ma discover na natin ang cure sa Swine Flu ha

10. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    evolution is far ahead of science

don't expect science to prevent newer, deadlier microbes from evolving

simpler organisms can adapt to the environment faster than us humans

just coz we have scientific advancements doesnt mean science can keep humans from getting killed by microbes

microbes don't care about science

they evolve... that's what their genetic code programmed them to do

hey, people still die of measles and pneumonia and TB... there's your scientific advancement

just coz a virus is killing people, sinadya na ng tao

whatda?!

we are not living in the Star Trek universe where there's a cure for every disease

people have the notion that present day science is so advanced, people think there's a cure for everything

or science can prevent death

malayo pa tayo dun
    viruses in themselves are the only ones responsible for the ongoing pandemic? that's preposterous...there must have been that human element. well there are some diseases that the old times thought to be incurable, but hey, they have been eradicated...just take the case of smallpox.

why they die of measles and pneumonia?

because they never got the necessary immunization.

take my case, i have been exposed to so many TB patients as well as patients with Hansen's Disease while i was still studying, ten years had elapsed and i'm leprosy free, TB free...why? i got the immunity for those diseases. thanks to my parents.

AT THE END OF THE DAY, YOU'LL KNOW THAT HUMANS HAVE A LOT TO CONTRIBUTE. we're rational, viruses are not. well, at least from our own viewpoint....:smiley:

while in the now, some diseases are yet to find its cure, we can never tell with certainty that they are incurable tomorrow. it largely depends on HUMAN ACTIVITY and INTERVENTION.
    Last edited by ab_initio; April 29th, 2009 at 02:16 PM.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Swine Flu Pandemic