The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    ohohoy ambilis magbike ah swoosh!

who took the pics though?

2. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    my brother has been telling me to use higher cadence (using lower gears) for climbing, but i get tired faster using such technique. i used to be a mountain biker so i'm used to pushing big gears and lower cadence. i think i'll stick to my own style and use lower cadence instead. how about you guys? what style do you use or prefer, higher cadence like lance armstrong, or lower cadence like jan ullrich?

if you guys have any inputs on the benefits of each style, fire away.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FXT View Post
    my brother has been telling me to use higher cadence (using lower gears) for climbing, but i get tired faster using such technique. i used to be a mountain biker so i'm used to pushing big gears and lower cadence. i think i'll stick to my own style and use lower cadence instead. how about you guys? what style do you use or prefer, higher cadence like lance armstrong, or lower cadence like jan ullrich?

if you guys have any inputs on the benefits of each style, fire away.
    actually you tend to spin more on mtb than on road biking since mtb has alot more lower gears. higher cadence in low gears is called Spinning, the trick is not to use too much low gear that you lose momentum. spinning will tire you easily since aerobic siya, more taxing on the lungs than on your legs, while using high gears will tire your legs more than your lungs

try to experiment on right gear combos when going uphill since each one of us has a difference spinning gear ratio, dapat konting effort lang sa legs and use the momentum generated by the spin for the next cadence.

for short races or biking distance hard gears aku lagi but kung endurance races or long rides spin lang to reserve energy. you have to train spinning kasi di agad nakukuha but when you've mastered it you can still mash hard at the end of long rides hehe gulat mga riding buddies mu nyan

4. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by miLes View Post
    you have to train spinning kasi di agad nakukuha but when you've mastered it you can still mash hard at the end of long rides hehe gulat mga riding buddies mu nyan
    that's exactly what my brother said!

...but it's easier said than done...gotta keep trying though, kasi i did notice that my brother did have a lot more left in the tank at the end of our rides, while i and several others were on the brink of bonking.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    I just ordered a new bike after two years of not having one. Planning to hopefully bike to work and back two times a week, about 7 miles one way. So malamang magsasanay muna ako a few miles until I can build up to one way. Tapos train muna pabalik. Hehe.

Can't wait...

Kaso wrong thread pala ako, medyo hybrid binili ko.
    Last edited by the_wildthing; July 14th, 2007 at 02:45 AM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by the_wildthing View Post
    I just ordered a new bike after two years of not having one. Planning to hopefully bike to work and back two times a week, about 7 miles one way. So malamang magsasanay muna ako a few miles until I can build up to one way. Tapos train muna pabalik. Hehe.

Can't wait...

Kaso wrong thread pala ako, medyo hybrid binili ko.
    Welcome! Bike Commuting is Fun! and Healthy!

Semi slicks?

Continental Country Pro are nice tires

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    that's exactly what my brother said!

...but it's easier said than done...gotta keep trying though, kasi i did notice that my brother did have a lot more left in the tank at the end of our rides, while i and several others were on the brink of bonking.
    true, kaya i bought a trainer para i can also spin on weekdays tapos spin sprint spin sprint lang hehe good for indoor training din since its been raining almost everyday i can watch tv pa while biking

8. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    just an update...since i started commuting to work daily (8 miles each way) two months ago, i have lost 7 pounds, lowered my BP and cholesterol level and saved lots of money in gas. also, i rented a tandem bike in san francisco two weekends ago for me and my austistic daughter, and she absolutely loved it. she was singing and laughing the whole time...though she wasn't much of a help in pedaling. needless to say, i'm in the market for a tandem bike. keep pedaling follow riders!!

9. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    just an update...since i started commuting to work daily (8 miles each way) two months ago, i have lost 7 pounds, lowered my BP and cholesterol level and saved lots of money in gas. also, i rented a tandem bike in san francisco two weekends ago for me and my austistic daughter, and she absolutely loved it. she was singing and laughing the whole time...though she wasn't much of a help in pedaling. needless to say, i'm in the market for a tandem bike. keep pedaling follow riders!!
    hehe ok yan i saw one here at paulina's in cartimar

10. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Just got into road biking myself. I purchased my first road bike just last week. Its a Merida Road Lite 904, paired with a shimano clipless, I went on my first outing last Saturday. Being a newbie roadie and t'was also my first time to use a clipless, my first road outing was a painful one . First, i was not used to the riding position so it was very uncomfortable, then just as I was going back to our house, I fell. I already unclipped my left foot to use when I stop, however, the road is sloped to the right so I was outbalanced and fell with my right foot still clipped. The bike was scratched and so was my knee. To tell you the truth, I was more concerned on the damage to the bike than my knee.

My succeeding bike rides are more pleasant now, I did some adjustments to the saddle and learned riding positions that are more comfortable and has temporarily replaced my clipless pedals which I found defective. What I like about the road bike as opposed to my mountain bike is the weight. Doing sprints and climbing hills is easier and faster. And the experience of riding downhills is comparable to flying.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Road Biking - it's also a lot of fun!