New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 94 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post
    Mahabol kaya niya si Jordan? Kaya pa kaya 2 more championships? And 2 more finals MVP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He has a lot left in him. If chasing MJ is what keeps his ember glowing, 2 more, doable.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by travajante View Post
    He has a lot left in him. If chasing MJ is what keeps his ember glowing, 2 more, doable.

What is your take on why viewership is down bro? To me it seems to have a bit to do with how most NBA players nowadays move from team to team so easily and frequently, thereby diluting their and their teams' identities. They're also pretty much chummy with each other, even their rivals. Rival today, teammate tomorrow seems to have been the trend the past decade or so.

Compare that to MJ's glory days when you just knew the Bulls absolutely hated the Pistons' guts. Rodman did go on to eventually play with MJ, but nowadays it feels like a game of musical chairs with how often players switch teams.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post
    Mahabol kaya niya si Jordan? Kaya pa kaya 2 more championships? And 2 more finals MVP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mahahabol niya yan kasi ang sistema ngayon ay win alongside fellow superstars.

Jordan era is win against fellow superstars.

IMO, the GSW is the last win-against-superstars-team. And they built their own superstars in the process, not by recruitment.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh1stl3r View Post
    What is your take on why viewership is down bro? To me it seems to have a bit to do with how most NBA players nowadays move from team to team so easily and frequently, thereby diluting their and their teams' identities. They're also pretty much chummy with each other, even their rivals. Rival today, teammate tomorrow seems to have been the trend the past decade or so.

Compare that to MJ's glory days when you just knew the Bulls absolutely hated the Pistons' guts. Rodman did go on to eventually play with MJ, but nowadays it feels like a game of musical chairs with how often players switch teams.
    Viewership is down because the NBA playoffs coincided with other sports due to the adjusted season. It's also closer to election date in the US so lots of people tuning in to campaign addresses instead of sports.

Personally I like it when players/teams find a way to win more easily - 3 pointers instead of paint play, dynasty teams instead of solo franchise stars, load management instead of injury-prone minutes.

Working smart > working hard, all the time.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh1stl3r View Post

A lot of things, really. Bubble removed home court. If not for the Cs, I probably wouldn't have followed this year. The safety rules turned the game soft & flop-prone. Odd & ironic...Stick thin Reggie & young MJ didn't have the brawn of today's sissies to survive a much physical game then. The review rule, I'm w/ JVG. Just too much.
    And, I'm w/ you on player loyalty & storied rivalries. They're both gone. No one & no team to genuinely root for. Would it have sat well w/ the green-blooded of the Red era to see Rondo help win1 for the purple & gold? Heck no. Haha...but I'm honestly glad for him. Fair weather fans you see these days. Then, there's load management. What's w/ that? Kawhi leaving Pop, then the Raptors, went beyond disloyalty. Self is now above team.
    The game is turning like cars of today...I'm starting to no longer care anymore.[emoji4]

6. Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Personally I like it when players/teams find a way to win more easily - 3 pointers instead of paint play, dynasty teams instead of solo franchise stars, load management instead of injury-prone minutes.

These things also help make the games more entertaining to watch. Fast pace, Ball distribution, and the rise of unlikely contributors like yung mga bench players/G leaguers contributed to my renewed desire to watch.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tarzegetakizerd View Post
    These things also help make the games more entertaining to watch. Fast pace, Ball distribution, and the rise of unlikely contributors like yung mga bench players/G leaguers contributed to my renewed desire to watch.
    I agree with you and Jut, play smart by relying on your skills and talent. Make do with what you have since the blueprint is still there, score well, play tough defense.

Though I agree that superstar teams and 2 MVP caliber joig ranks makes it less interesting for me. Loyalty has indeed taken a toll as well since personal motive - which is not bad naman considering short peak time of an athlete - is now paramount. Championships kasi creates more valeu to your stock as well so they do chase it regardless of where it may be (hence star player movement).

8. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    A lot of things, really. Bubble removed home court. If not for the Cs, I probably wouldn't have followed this year. The safety rules turned the game soft & flop-prone. Odd & ironic...Stick thin Reggie & young MJ didn't have the brawn of today's sissies to survive a much physical game then. The review rule, I'm w/ JVG. Just too much.
    And, I'm w/ you on player loyalty & storied rivalries. They're both gone. No one & no team to genuinely root for. Would it have sat well w/ the green-blooded of the Red era to see Rondo help win1 for the purple & gold? Heck no. Haha...but I'm honestly glad for him. Fair weather fans you see these days. Then, there's load management. What's w/ that? Kawhi leaving Pop, then the Raptors, went beyond disloyalty. Self is now above team.
    The game is turning like cars of today...I'm starting to no longer care anymore.[emoji4]

TLDR - "back in my day...." [emoji111][emoji16]

9. Join Date
    Mar 2006

for me this is too simplified. teams worked really hard to reach the finals this season, especially when vital role players opted to stay home and stay out of the disney world campus.

i grew to like watching plays unfold -even more -both on the offensive and defensive side during this bubble tournament. the elevator plays, the off ball movement, the split actions, the intermingling usage of flare and flat screens, switches, baseline drifts, slot cuts, etc. were very interesting to watch. teams like miami and toronto invested a lot of time and extra effort to master those concepts in a very condensed atmosphere.

isolation plays nowadays just won't cut it. nba brain trusts had to be creative and consult their amateur roots to negate the skills that every top tier nba basketball player innately possesses. what's even harder, i figure, is to convince those multi-million salaried players w/ egos the size of mountains to buy-in and believe in that kind of a less individualistic and less flashy system.

sa defensive end siyempre interesting din panuorin iyong ginagawa ng miami na mag switch from a 1-1-3 to a 1-3-1 and ultimately to settle on a 2-3 aggressive zone defense - all in one opponent's ball possession. i reckon that's the reason why they reached the finals even though they have a roster that doesn't have an out-and-out marquee player. halos ngayon lang nagbalik uli iyong mga defensive sets na ganyan.

kaya ako pag nanood ng live sa uaap, specifically iyong coach tab baldwin's ateneo (and norman black's too before), gusto ko nanunood sa lower or upper box para makita ko ang offensive sets ng blue eagles. makikita mo iyong discipline of execution. pag nasa courtside ka most likely hindi mo makita iyan.

sa pba naman kasi halos wala naman iyan na kasi puro individualistic na ang motif nila. we'll see if this nba season will change the mindset of the coaching staff of pba teams and more importantly its players. kaya nga na demote si baldwin sa uaap kasi ayaw ng mga pba players ng ganyan (dami daw nagreklamo nung he handled gilas) at kaya nagalit ang pba sa kanya several months ago for calling out coaches for their lack of creativity.

but in the end, excellent coaching can only get a team so far. kailangan talaga ng transcendental players para makaraos sa challenge na inimpose nila lebron at davis ngayong season.
    Last edited by baludoy; October 13th, 2020 at 10:52 AM.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Viewership is down because the NBA playoffs coincided with other sports due to the adjusted season. It's also closer to election date in the US so lots of people tuning in to campaign addresses instead of sports.

Thought the pandemic would somehow encourage viewership. Guess it's not enough.

The rise of the 3 point shooters was brought about by the hand check rule. Was only a matter of time before talented shooters took advantage. Some may not like it but I do like how it has increased scoring and sped up the game.

Dynasty teams are ok with me but I just hoped they would stay together a lot longer so they'd cement some semblance of identity with their teams.

Load management I think is a necessity now because of how hectic the modern NBA pace and schedule is. With how fast players are today and how thinly spaced the games are, players don't have much time to recover.

While like you, I miss some elements from the 90s way of play I also think change is good bro. Without the rule changes to favor shooters for example, we probably would've seen a much bigger decline in interest in the NBA. They were right in thinking fans love scoring. Not sure the NBA would've survived if things remain the same year in year out. They still have to keep the game fresh so people can stay interested. There's only so many ways you can shoot a ball. I don't think anybody wants to watch the same stuff over and over. And let's face it, the NBA has to target a younger audience's tastes as well. They have to for the future of the league.

Page 2 of 94 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast