New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    ‘Mexican’s visit a low blow’
    By Joaquin Henson
    Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Freddie Roach said yesterday Juan Manuel Marquez’ surprise visit to confront WBC superfeatherweight champion Manny Pacquiao and try to prick his pride in agreeing to a third meeting was a low blow.

Roach, who arrived on the same Philippine Airlines flight from Los Angeles as Marquez last Sunday morning, called the Mexican a crybaby who doesn’t know how to lose.

“He was brought in to do a commercial for a beer brand that’s the direct competitor of the brand that Manny and (Erik) Morales endorse,” said Roach. “I don’t think it’s right that he should come to Manila and take away Gerry’s moment.”

Roach referred to WBO bantamweight champion Gerry Peñalosa’s eighth round knockout over Ratanachai Sor Vorapin of Thailand at the Araneta Coliseum the other day.

“That’s why I didn’t attend the post-fight press conference because Marquez was there,” said Roach. “I knew Marquez would use the press conference to say things about Manny.”

Marquez and Pacquiao sat in the same ringside section and only a few rows away from each other during Peñalosa’s fight but it seemed like they were worlds apart.

“I hate fighters who don’t know how to lose,” said Roach. “Marquez is a little crybaby who just whines and whines. I agree the last fight with Manny was close and could’ve gone either way by a point. But two of the three judges thought Manny won and that was the decision. He should learn to accept it.”

Roach said Marquez should be patient as Pacquiao was in waiting four years for their second meeting.

Roach lashed out at Marquez for appearing in a TV talk show last Sunday claiming people all over the world thought he beat Pacquiao in their Mandalay Bay bout. He said it was an abuse of Filipino hospitality and an insulting behavior.

“Marquez should show some respect for the Filipino people and shouldn’t shoot his mouth off like that on Philippine TV,” said Roach. “First of all, it’s not true everyone thought he won. On the HBO TV panel, Emanuel Steward scored it for Manny and so did Harold Lederman. Steve Kim saw Manny on top by two points. The L. A. Times also had Manny ahead. Even Golden Boy matchmaker Sampson Lewkowicz thought Manny won. So what’s Marquez talking about?”

In a Star interview, Marquez said he’ll make sure the judges won’t rob him of a victory in a third fight against Pacquiao by scoring a knockout.

“Next time we fight, I’ll be more active and aggressive, throw more punches,” said Marquez who leaves tomorrow. “He has knocked me down four times in our two fights. It’s my turn to knock him down when we fight again and this time, I’ll knock him out.”

Marquez said he was cheated by the judges in his rematch against Pacquiao.

“I don’t know what fight they were scoring,” he said. “I think they were just looking at the round girls. For sure, I won’t let the judges decide who wins in our third fight. I’ll knock Pacquiao out.”

Marquez said fans aren’t looking forward to Pacquiao fighting David Diaz for the WBC lightweight title on June 28. “Nobody cares about Diaz because everyone wants to see me fight Pacquiao again,” he continued. “I want an immediate rematch. I told Manny that and he didn’t answer. I know Manny has no problem making 130 pounds because he was 129 at our weigh-in. But if he wants, I’ll fight him at 135.”

Marquez said he’ll fight Pacquiao anytime, anywhere–even in Manila.

“If he doesn’t want to fight me, maybe, he’s scared of me,” Marquez went on. “I watched the tape of our last fight and I’m convinced I won. That means, I’ve beaten him twice since I think I won our first fight, too.”

Roach shrugged off Marquez’ taunts and said Pacquiao won’t be gerrymandered into accepting a third fight. “Manny will do what is best for his career not what is best for Marquez’ career,” said Roach who left Manila for Los Angeles late last night.
    parang pulitiko pala si marquez, hindi natatalo, pero madaya pwede pa!

which beer is he endorsing anyway? colt 45 or coors light? or is beer na beer around still?

2. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    ang pinakamagandang ganti ni pacquiao kay marquez ay pag antayin niya ito ng matagal bago bigyan ng rematch.

hindi kasi maintindihan ni jmm ang ibig sabihin ng "close fight" at "could have gone either way". feeling niya eh winner siya by lopsided decision.

nway, imho, gusto lang ni jmm ng immediate rematch kasi kay pacquiao lang siya kumikita ng malaki. sa galing kasi ni jmm bilang isang technical na boxer, boring ang laban niya at mga hardcore fans lang nakaka appreciate sa kanya.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    What a sour puss.