New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by draiman View Post
    Pwede pa yan bro, para pumayat.

Anong name? Under ba kay J Baylon?
    di eh...... basta, its in the ground floor of a condominium, in front of the christian school there.
    shadow, grappling is more into wrestling.... goal is to defeat an opponent via submission.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2015
    ok bro, thanks! I check ko na lang pag uwi...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post
    What's a grappler?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    *shadow, if you're familiar sa UFC (ultimate fighting championship), yung base skill nila pag nasa ground sila, either wrestling or jiujitsu, but pag sinabing grappler, mostly it refers to jiujitsu where a person uses submission techniques as opposed to striking.

4. Join Date
    May 2014
    curious lang; grappling din ba yung "ipitan" pero sinasapak parin yung kalaban, habang nakaipit? di yun baklaan na suntok ha dahil hirap na sa ipitan, yung tipong llamado pounding dehado relentlessly.
    Last edited by ninjababez; November 5th, 2015 at 04:13 AM.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjababez View Post
    curious lang; grappling din ba yung "ipitan" pero sinasapak parin yung kalaban, habang nakaipit? di yun baklaan na suntok ha dahil hirap na sa ipitan, yung tipong llamado pounding dehado relentlessly.
    baka "ground and pound" yan, normally sa MMA (mixed martial arts), sa pure grappling kasi walang sapak, puro submission lang, until i-tap mo ang sparring partner to indicate you submit or surrender, tapos re-start ulit ng sparring...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

baka "ground and pound" yan, normally sa MMA (mixed martial arts), sa pure grappling kasi walang sapak, puro submission lang, until i-tap mo ang sparring partner to indicate you submit or surrender, tapos re-start ulit ng sparring...

6. Join Date
    May 2014
    thanks! never though may pure grappling lang. di ba boring ito, like watching a floyd mayweather jr. fight?

thanks! never though may pure grappling lang. di ba boring ito, like watching a floyd mayweather jr. fight?

7. Join Date
    Mar 2013

Yes there is at jiujitsu ang tawag nila sa discipline na yan.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    afaik,strking means kicks, punches; anything that doesn't fall into those categories gets lumped into "grappling", although there are differences. Some are purely throws, pins, some are more about armlocks, groundfighting, etc.

e.g.

Grappling : jiu-jitsu, judo, aikido, Greco-Roman wrestling(you don't see this much in MMA, the last time i saw this was with Dan Severn in the early UFC days), Russian Sambo
    Strking : Karate, Taekwondo, Wing Chun Kung Fu/Jeet Kun Do

Some disciplines do have striking+grappling techniques: Goju Ryu Karate, Hapkido, some forms of Kung Fu.

i'm all for preserving the integrity of a martial art, but i have issues when people become obsessed in the form/technique rather than effectiveness -- In sport Karate kumite matches, they won't award you points even if you hit someone, if you don't execute proper form.

In the practice of the martial art, form is important; in a real fight, not so much.

Back in the wild west days of UFC, there were "pure" martial artists, e.g. karate, boxing, jiu-jitsu, savate, even sumo(anyone remember that match between the ninjitsu guy and the sumo wrestler?)...although in a real fight, it's hard to stick to your chosen martial art(look what happened to Eastman in TWD ^_^)

These days you see a hybrid of all these martial arts. All MMA fighters know how to strike, kick, throw, armlock. Even the bodies of fighters are looking the same.

For me grappling/submission is a lot more sophisticated compared to striking; there's a lot of biomechanics and body smarts going on, although it gets boring real quick, especially now when everyone knows how to defend against it. People generally like to see a highlight real knockout via strikes vs submission. i suppose a lot of fans migrated from boxing to MMA(thanks to Mayweather)

btw, Rousey vs Holm this weekend. Don't blink you might miss the fight ^_^
    Last edited by badkuk; November 13th, 2015 at 10:00 AM.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2015

Yes, if you're not a practitioner. Parang watching clouds move. You'd rather watch a chess match.
    Contrary to what you've mentioned, a Floyd fight very much interest me, seeing how he evades punches coming. Pero sa mga taong gusto ng 'madugo' na laban, boring nga, I'm sure you'll enjoy an MMA fight instead, very messy most of the time...

Yes, if you're not a practitioner. Parang watching clouds move. You'd rather watch a chess match.
    Contrary to what you've mentioned, a Floyd fight very much interest me, seeing how he evades punches coming. Pero sa mga taong gusto ng 'madugo' na laban, boring nga, I'm sure you'll enjoy an MMA fight instead, very messy most of the time...

10. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Anyone here who knows where I can enroll my 12 year old kid in this kind of art? Near Fairview... Yung mura Lang ha...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast