New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    low platelet count, hematoma appearing all over the body. any doctors who have encountered this? or anyone who have first hand information (like family, friend experiencing this)

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    ++++++++++++++++++
    Last edited by uls; April 15th, 2009 at 12:29 AM.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    a parent of a friend. i don't think so, i was told twice na daw na-attack ng low platelet count.

3rd time daw ung ngayon. ung 2nd time ata wala pang 4 years bumalik na, ung 1st okay naman daw. ayaw na bumalik sa st lukes kasi parang walang kwenta 4 years daw bumalik na. i have no idea about the subject

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    sorry, kaya inedit ko agad

bigla kasi pumasok sa isip ko leukemia kasi may kilala ako may leukemia (tulad nung kay francis m) bumagsak ang platelet count, naghahanap ng blood donor para kuhaan ng platelet

5. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    ya, buti nga nagpacheck up agad.

delikado pag napabayaan, fatal daw e

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    +1 on ULS baka leukemia...

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
    low platelet count, hematoma appearing all over the body. any doctors who have encountered this? or anyone who have first hand information (like family, friend experiencing this)
    Low platelet... results in the body unable to clot if it bleeds.

Hematoma... a collection of blood outside the blood vessels, generally the result of hemorrhage.

I experienced low platelet count over ten years ago when I was hospitalized (dengue). I was transfused with a couple of units of platelets over two days. After that my platelet count was back within "safe" levels.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; April 15th, 2009 at 04:27 PM.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    the symptom may be termed as thrombocytopenia.

What is thrombocytopenia?

Thrombocytopenia is the term for a reduced platelet (thrombocyte) count. It happens when platelets are lost from the circulation faster than they can be replaced from the bone marrow where they are made.

Thrombocytopenia can result from:

• a failure of platelet production
    • an increased rate of removal from blood.

What do platelets do?

Platelets are essential in the formation of blood clots to prevent haemorrhage - bleeding from a ruptured blood vessel.

An adequate number of normally functioning platelets is also needed to prevent leakage of red blood cells from apparently uninjured vessels.

In the event of bleeding, muscles in the vessel wall contract and reduce blood flow. The platelets then stick to each other (aggregation) and hold on to the vessel wall (primary haemostasis). The coagulation factors are then activated, resulting in normally liquid blood becoming an insoluble clot or glue.

What are the risks of a low platelet count?

The main effect of a reduced platelet count is an increased risk of bleeding, but this rarely occurs until there are less than 80-100 million platelets per ml.

There is not a close relationship between the number of platelets and the severity of bleeding, but there is an increasing risk of haemorrhage if platelet numbers fall or if platelet function is impaired (for example by aspirin, which reduces the 'stickiness' of the platelets).

There is a particularly high risk of spontaneous bleeding once the platelet count drops below 10 million per ml. The bleeding is usually seen on the skin in the form of tiny pin-prick haemorrhages (purpura), or bruises (ecchymoses) following minor trauma.

[precisely the reason why there is hematoma]

Bleeding from the nose and the gums is also quite common. More serious haemorrhage can occur at the back of the eye (retina), sometimes threatening sight.

The most serious complication, which is potentially fatal, is spontaneous bleeding inside the head (intracranial) or from the lining of the gut (gastrointestinal).

lifted from:

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/...ocytopenia.htm

9. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    dito sa amin pag low platelet plus fever eh dengue agad ang suspetsa. pero kung wala fever, baka kelangan pa ng further test.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
    its a symptom of leukemia alright. have him checked right away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Low platelet