New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Is it really necessary to have a shot of flu vaccine once a year?

This vaccine normally costs between P900-P1500. Last saturday, the local Mercury Drugstore here was selling it for P695.00, including administration of the shot, but for a limited number of persons only and until 4pm. We missed it 'cause we got a visitor.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by boybi View Post
    Is it really necessary to have a shot of flu vaccine once a year?

This vaccine normally costs between P900-P1500. Last saturday, the local Mercury Drugstore here was selling it for P695.00, including administration of the shot, but for a limited number of persons only and until 4pm. We missed it 'cause we got a visitor.
    I think it greatly depends on your life style. If you travel a lot or comes in contact with a great number of people on a daily basis or something like that.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    not really necessary

sa States recommended lang yan sa mga elderly

the flu vaccine doesnt protect against flu 100%

scientists make an educated guess what strain of the influenza virus will circulate during this year's flu season and they produce a vaccine for that strain

if you happen to catch a flu virus of a different strain, the vaccine won't work

4. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Prevention is better than cure.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    for full disclosure (hehe), i did have a flu vaccine shot earlier this year

nagpa vaccinate kasi buong family ng boss ko

he asked me kung gusto ko

libre naman e, so i said yes

the vaccine is called Vaxigrip

http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/Profs/Dat...axigripinj.htm
    VAXIGRIP® is a sterile suspension of influenza virus for intramuscular or deep subcutaneous injection. It is a purified, inactivated, split virion vaccine.

VAXIGRIP® contains the following strains of influenza virus:

A/Brisbane/59/2007IVR-148 (A/Brisbane/59/2007 [H1N1] - like),
    A/Uruguay/716/2007 NYMC X-175C (A/Brisbane/10/2007 [H3N2] - like), and
    B/Florida/4/2006 (B/Florida/4/2006 - like)

Each 0.5 mL pre-filled syringe contains 15 mcg haemagglutinin of each of the 3 strains in a buffered saline solution. A buffered saline solution contains the following excipients - sodium chloride, potassium chloride, sodium phosphate - dibasic dihydrate, potassium phosphate - monobasic and water for injection.

The vaccine is prepared from virus grown in the allantoic cavity of embryonated eggs, concentrated, purified by zonal centrifugation in a sucrose gradient, split by octoxinol 9 (Triton X-100), inactivated by formaldehyde and then diluted in phosphate buffered saline solution to the required concentration. No adjuvant or preservative is added. The vaccine may contain traces of formaldehyde (≤ 30 mcg), octoxinol 9 (≤ 150 mcg) and neomycin (< 20 picogram). VAXIGRIP® does not contain more than 0.05 mcg ovalbumin per dose.

The type and amount of viral antigens contained in VAXIGRIP® conform to the annual requirements of the Australian Influenza Vaccine Committee (AIVC) and the World Health Organization (WHO) recommendations for the season. VAXIGRIP® conforms in safety and sterility to the requirements of the British Pharmacopoeia.
    a couple of days after the vaccination, i had flu-like symptoms

6. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    my kids have it annually for the past 3 years na siguro.. kung magkasakit man sila.. hindi masyadong grabe.. one of my friend's company was offering it for Php395.00 only this year.. so we had it there..

7. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    It's not 100%, but it lowers the chances of you getting infected.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Our company gives free flu vaccine annually but I never availed of it.

I never had flu in my entire life except last year (2016) I posted about my fever/ordeal at the board and members advised me to test for dengue which thankfully turned out negative. The doctor said I had "Systemic Viral Illness" and I just have to let it run its course.

This year I think I caught the flu again. I have fever since Wednesday and it's already Saturday I'm not suspecting dengue because I have sore throat, coughing and runny nose. It's really frustrating because in my entire life I used to NEVER have fever longer than 2 days. I'm not sure if it's because of age (mid 30s)

Now I am thinking if I should get flu vaccine next year. I also don't know why it happens July/August, maybe that is flu season? My friends said the vaccine makes the arm hurt and some even get fever after the vaccine.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    A few years ago my wife (who is a doctor) got flu vaccines for all of us in the family. Then I found out siya hindi pala siya nag pa inject. Hirap gamutin mga doktor, tigas ng ulo hehe.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bugsmobile View Post
    A few years ago my wife (who is a doctor) got flu vaccines for all of us in the family. Then I found out siya hindi pala siya nag pa inject. Hirap gamutin mga doktor, tigas ng ulo hehe.
    That's what they say about people from the medical field. Matigas ulo pag dating sa sarili nila.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Flu vaccine: is it necessary?