New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines



Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,394
    #1
    Best-Selling Toothpaste Contains Hazardous Endocrine-Disrupting Chemical



    Three years ago, Colgate-Palmolive responded to safety concerns brought forth by consumer groups by removing triclosan from its soap products. But the company left it in its best-selling toothpaste, Colgate Total. (Colgate Total is the only triclosan-containing toothpaste sold in the US.)

    But if triclosan can cause serious health problems when used topically, surely using it in your mouth is not going to be any safer, as chemicals are readily absorbed in your oral cavity.

    For example, zinc-containing denture creams like Fixodent, Poligrip, Super Poligrip, and others, have been linked to zinc poisoning.1 Toxic effects include serious neurological problems, including neuropathy.

    There are even class-action lawsuits underway by people who have been poisoned by their denture creams. With regards to triclosan-containing toothpaste, Bloomberg2 reports:

    "Total is safe, Colgate says, citing the rigorous Food and Drug Administration process that led to the toothpaste's 1997 approval as an over-the-counter drug.

    A closer look at that application process, however, reveals that some of the scientific findings Colgate put forward to establish triclosan's safety in toothpaste weren't black and white -- and weren't, until this year, available to the public."


  2. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    431
    #2
    flouride is also very dangerous for our health. google it and you'll see.

  3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    45,768
    #3
    toothpaste is not designed to be swallowed. it should be spat out, and the mouth rinsed well.

  4. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    431
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    toothpaste is not designed to be swallowed. it should be spat out, and the mouth rinsed well.
    you are right, dr., but we all know that the skin is a good absorber of chemicals. before we spit it out, no matter how much we rinse our mouth, may naabsorb na ang system natin. bad for kids. in their adult life marami na ang naingest nila.

    nakakabobo pa naman ang flouride. 2 cents lang po.

  5. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    468
    #5
    wag na tayo magtoothbrush, hehehehehe.

    well, ke mebisyo o wala - at the end of the day naniniwala ako ke 1Direction, una una nga lang.

  6. Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    251
    #6
    Is this colgate only? or all toothpaste brand? Btw, halos lahat ng pagkain ngayon hazardous na. Nandyan yung GMO, synthetic chemicals and pesticide para sa mga plants and animals. The worlds ocean is contaminated with radioactive materials, redtide, etc. Depleted na yung rainforest, so less na yung quality of oxygen na nalalanghap natin, dahil may halo ng toxic compounds. Prolonged exposure means shorter life expectancy. Within 2 generations, baka nasa 25 years old nlang ang life expectancy dahil lahat ay meron ng lason na dahan dahang pumapatay sa tao.

  7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    22,710
    #7
    "GMO" tells you nothing about toxicity.

    "GMO" is simply a means of altering genetic material to create a desired effect. One effect is resistance to certain herbicides that are less toxic than more common herbicides. (all that brouhaha over Monsato is about as laughably inane as Jenny McCarthy's crusade against vaccines).

    Other effects include vitamin enrichment (Golden Rice) or the production of pest-repelling chemicals (Bt Talong) that are WIDELY used in "organic" farming and which are completely safe to humans.

    "Non-GMO" and "Organic" are dangerous buzzwords that mislead you into thinking things are "safer" without telling you how much toxic crap is actually used to produce the food.

    Quote Originally Posted by pyramid00 View Post
    nakakabobo pa naman ang flouride. 2 cents lang po.
    Supposedly.

    If it's mixed in the drinking water at multiple times the recommended exposure limit.

    And then the correlation found in the Chinese studies also shows a strong correlation to low socio-economic standings. (which, surprise surprise, correlate very strongly to lower IQ)

    And the IQ drop shown is something like 0.24 IQ points (if I recall correctly, I saw the discussion quite some time ago).

    Color me unimpressed with the "evidence".

    Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

  8. Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    251
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    "GMO" tells you nothing about toxicity.

    "GMO" is simply a means of altering genetic material to create a desired effect. One effect is resistance to certain herbicides that are less toxic than more common herbicides. (all that brouhaha over Monsato is about as laughably inane as Jenny McCarthy's crusade against vaccines).

    Other effects include vitamin enrichment (Golden Rice) or the production of pest-repelling chemicals (Bt Talong) that are WIDELY used in "organic" farming and which are completely safe to humans.

    "Non-GMO" and "Organic" are dangerous buzzwords that mislead you into thinking things are "safer" without telling you how much toxic crap is actually used to produce the food.

    Yes its an alteration of the plant gene to kill a specific pest. But the real question is , will it be safe for human to consume a plant that has a built-in pesticide? I don't know if Bill Gates Fund (Monsanto) is sincere in their effort to feed the people of africa with GMO or they were just lab rats, a large scale experiments on the effect of GMO to human.

    I think certified "Organic" is safer than other food crops. Being organic is not limited to Non-GMO, its about protecting the environment, fair labor, and natural way of producing our food. It cannot be certified organic, unless some third party genius' will validate the whole process.

  9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    22,710
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by XploY View Post
    Yes its an alteration of the plant gene to kill a specific pest. But the real question is , will it be safe for human to consume a plant that has a built-in pesticide? I don't know if Bill Gates Fund (Monsanto) is sincere in their effort to feed the people of africa with GMO or they were just lab rats, a large scale experiments on the effect of GMO to human.
    We already do. All the time. A lot of food crops have chemical defenses evolved to ward off pests.

    As an aside, malunggay is an effective way of getting rid of tapeworms. Causes paralysis.

    Quote Originally Posted by XploY View Post
    I think certified "Organic" is safer than other food crops. Being organic is not limited to Non-GMO, its about protecting the environment, fair labor, and natural way of producing our food. It cannot be certified organic, unless some third party genius' will validate the whole process.
    While protecting the environment, rotating crops to prevent soil degradation and fair labor are all worthy endeavors, in terms of health, "Organic" only tells you that any herbicides or pesticides used in cultivation is organic. Ergo: There may be toxins, but they are not "synthetic" or they have "natural" analogues.

    The Bt in the GMO Bt Talong (Eggplant) is widely used in "Organic" cultivation.

    Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

  10. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    431
    #10
    [QUOTE=niky;2676474]We already do. All the time. A lot of food crops have chemical defenses evolved to ward off pests.

    As an aside, malunggay is an effective way of getting rid of tapeworms. Causes paralysis.

    While protecting the environment, rotating crops to prevent soil degradation and fair labor are all worthy endeavors, in terms of health, "Organic" only tells you that any herbicides or pesticides used in cultivation is organic. Ergo: There may be toxins, but they are not "synthetic" or they have "natural" analogues. Unquote

    The debate if GMO is good or bad is controversial. I understand that almost the whole of europe (incl russia) ban gmo products. In India, they are blaming monsanto for the farmer suicides. It seems that farming is expensive that's why these poor peasants could not make ends meet; so they choose the easier option, magpapakamatay na lang.

    Gmo is good for a hungry nation, bahala na kung may effect sa tao in the long run. At least, busog.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Best-Selling Toothpaste Contains Hazardous Endocrine-Disrupting Chemical