New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by n1kn0k View Post
    i checked this thread for several days. when no one was replying i gave up. i thought RP is really is basketball country.
    RP is and will always be a basketball country.
    Basketball is like a religion in RP.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by c0zee View Post
    RP is and will always be a basketball country.
    Basketball is like a religion in RP.
    It's too bad most Pinoys don't pay attention to the NFL because there have been more Pinoys/Fil-Ams that have played in the NFL than the NBA.
    Roman Gabriel-QB-LA RAMS-Father is Pinoy.
    Teddy Bruschi-LB-NE PATRIOTS-Mother is Pinay.
    Eugene Amano-G/C-TEN TITANS-Full blooded Pinoy born in Manila, 6'3" 300+lbs, starting left guard.
    Aaron Francisco-SS/FS-IND COLTS-He is the second string free safety in their current roster in the Super Bowl.
    Chris Gocong-LB-PHI EAGLES-Second string OLB.
    Jordan Dizon-LB-DET LIONS-Second string OLB.
    Steve Slaton-RB-HOU TEXANS- Starting RB and was nominee for 2008 ROTY. Even has a tattoo of the RP flag on his chest to acknowledge his roots.

These guys weren't just someone that rode the bench some of these guys are stars and they are Pinoy. Will there be more? Yes, the high schools of California, Hawaii, and other states are full of them in their football teams.

Let's see how many Pinoys/Fil-Ams made the NBA and we're not talking drafted but getting released before the season even starts.

Raymond Townsend-Fil-Am-played 3 years for Golden State and Indiana before being cut by the Mavericks.
    Eric Spoelstra-Fil-Am-Coach Miami Heat.

You've got 7 Pinoys/Fil-Ams that have made the NFL and only 2 that made the NBA and the player was essentially a bench warmer. As crazy as it seems maybe Pinoys are better made for the NFL.
    Last edited by redorange; February 3rd, 2010 at 10:27 AM.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Great info Red

American style football is not played in RP while basketball is played virtually everywhere in the land. I wonder why?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    When I was abroad I used to follow NFL during the Steve Young/Jerry Rice days.

When Young, Rice and Elway retired I lost interest. I've always been 49er fan and I've always liked Steve Young and I absolutely hated Aikman and the Cowboys But I like Emmet Smith though!

Young is my all time fav QB, he doesn't have the arm of Aikman, Elway and that QB from Miami (what's his name?) But I like him because he runs. I've always like NFL QB's who can run.

I saw a couple of games of Peyton and he's really good. For the upcoming superbowl, my money is on the Colts

5. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchtower View Post
    Great info Red

American style football is not played in RP while basketball is played virtually everywhere in the land. I wonder why?
    Here are some web sites about ArenaBall, the local tackle football league: http://www.gmanews.tv/largevideo/lat...he-philippines

http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx...bCategoryId=69

http://www.arenaballphilippines.com.ph/about.html

However, I've never come across widespread coverage of the league's activities. I wonder how it's doing now.

One of the reasons why basketball has gained grassroots popularity is the ease in setting up a court, even in the most overpopulated slums. Just nail a backboard w/ hoop to a post and you get instant street ball.

The most ironic part: depsite being played all year round in the PBA, how come we can't even come up with a major championship in Asia? But that's for another thread to thresh out. In the meantime, go Colts!

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Well football is even easier to play on the streets or an emplty lot you don't need a board or ring. We used to play using tennis balls if we didn't have a footbal while in middle school and played two hand touch or tackle(yes we played tackle on the street and I came home bloody). The thing is Pinoys fell in love with basketball while the Japanese fell in love with baseball and football was forgotten. Funny thing is about the list I posted earlier is that the only pure Pinoy of the bunch happens to be the biggest, so much for the American blood making them bigger. LOL

Pinoys would be great in football, they have cornerbacks that are 5"9" to 6" and linebackers are typically about 6"2" to 6'4". So that would be your point guard to power forward slots in Philippine basketball, which is smaller than the rest of the world at those positions already. My nephew who is 6"3" and 255lbs(pure Pinoy blood also) at the time he played linebacker in college was good enough to get an invite to the NFL combines, too bad he decided to get married and become an LEO instead.
    Last edited by redorange; February 3rd, 2010 at 02:32 PM.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Instead of promoting/urging pinoys to play "football" (NFL), why don't we promote the real football played all over the world and is considered the most popular sport?

Ok. Let us just discuss NLF and stop discussing why this why that.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    i still can't understand why the pro bowl was played earlier than the super bowl. it's usually the other way around. did anyone notice the absence of players from both super bowl teams during last sunday's game? that sucks since i bet some of those players have contracts that include incentive pay when reaching a certain milestone (ex: playing in the pro bowl and/or super bowl). additionally, anyone who plays in the pro bowl gets extra money from the league (both winners and losers).

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by artpogi View Post
    When I was abroad I used to follow NFL during the Steve Young/Jerry Rice days.

When Young, Rice and Elway retired I lost interest. I've always been 49er fan and I've always liked Steve Young and I absolutely hated Aikman and the Cowboys But I like Emmet Smith though!

Young is my all time fav QB, he doesn't have the arm of Aikman, Elway and that QB from Miami (what's his name?) But I like him because he runs. I've always like NFL QB's who can run.

I saw a couple of games of Peyton and he's really good. For the upcoming superbowl, my money is on the Colts
    Teams go through highs and lows. Even all the money in the world can't guarantee they'll be at the top tier all the time. All teams are bound to have a bad year.

But, it's nice to see upstarts like the Cardinals come out of the pushover phase.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    Teams go through highs and lows. Even all the money in the world can't guarantee they'll be at the top tier all the time. All teams are bound to have a bad year.

But, it's nice to see upstarts like the Cardinals come out of the pushover phase.
    Definitely agree with you.

I just lost interest that's it, the same way I lost interest in tennis when the fivesome (Sampras, Chang, Agassi, Courier and Martin) retired.

Darn, I'm getting oooooooolllllllllddddddd

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast