New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    It just showed up on my Windows Update. Unfortunately, I'm rendering my Starship Trooper DVD to an xVid file.

Anyone tried it yet?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i havent been alerted with it yet...weird. ill check it out from their website.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Mmm. Great. The "pause" when doing a copy is gone. Also, I seemed to have gained back 20gb* hard drive space. Last I looked, I was down to 70gb in my lappy. Now it's back to 90gb. I'll take it........

Those are 2 of the more obvious changes so far......

*My page file is permanent. Both Max and Min are set to 2048mb.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; December 31st, 2007 at 08:52 PM.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Disk Defrag now allows selection of which volumes to defrag. The interface is still crappy, though.

Also, I have no idea how the install proceeded or the length of time. I was asleep.

Shutdown is also quicker. No big deal to me.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; December 31st, 2007 at 09:13 PM.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennSter View Post
    i havent been alerted with it yet...weird. ill check it out from their website.
    Actually, the update icon has been sitting in the tray for several days now. I've been ignoring it because I thought it was another one of those pesky MS bug fixes. I finally decided to check what it is and lo and behold, it's the SP1 I've been expecting. It's still RC1. But it's welcome, anyway.

A word to the wise.......
    The stand-alone version of SP1 will weigh in at 1gb. He He.. Ouch! That pretty much ensures MS will be the butt of many jokes for years to come. 1gb? Yikes!
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; December 31st, 2007 at 09:43 PM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i researched about it and there are some issues regarding lost hdd....some lost files.

err ill wait for the sp1!

also, there are no icons in my tray..i even checked my updates in the control panel. probably because my vista is new and havent been registered yet? i still have 20 days to register... (original vista home premium)

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennSter View Post
    i researched about it and there are some issues regarding lost hdd....some lost files.

err ill wait for the sp1!

also, there are no icons in my tray..i even checked my updates in the control panel. probably because my vista is new and havent been registered yet? i still have 20 days to register... (original vista home premium)
    I think the lost hdd/files issues were with the betas. Those versions weren't pushed out (via Windows Update) by MS the way this latest version, RC1, is. This one falls under Important Update.

In any case, this lappy is non-critical....strictly for entertainment. The general desktop seems snappier although it wasn't a problem to me before.

Add: I'm also using the 32bit Vista Home Premium on this lappy. I'll check to see if the SP1 RC1 update shows up on the Vista Basic of my wife's pc--->Nope. Not yet.

Comparing file/folder sizes with hdd used/available, there's still 10gb unaccounted for. It used to be +30gb. So, regaining 20gb back is a welcome relief.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; January 1st, 2008 at 01:33 AM.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    nope wala sa windows update ko pero sa mga matatapang eto para sa inyo...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Well..... It's almost the end of Day 2 with SP1 RC1. So far, I can't find anything to fault except not having it in Vista from the time it went retail. From what I can gather, I'll have to uninstall SP1 RC1 first before installing the finalized SP1. No sweat.

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 RC1