New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    I recently bought an aircon .5 hp carrier window type. the sales rep told me sa lahat nilang aircon na ibinebenta yun ang pinaka energy efficient. Inexplain nya thru the yellow card attached (yung energy guide) na approx ganun mapapdagdag sa electric bill ko. There was a formula given how to solve how much it will cost. But eventhough I have bought that unit already. There was something he could not explain to me. but how about the formula to find out its exact wattage at different settings? Hope someone could clarify this. Here is the case. It is stated that the power consumption of that unit is 519 W. all the way ba once I turned on the unit yun ang consumption nya? I mean what if naka low cool ang settings mas mababa sa 519 consumption nya? Or if naka turbo cool mas malaki bas a 519 ang consumption niya? Eh yung thermostat? For example I put it on low cool and the thermostat at 2 how will I know how much wattage it is at that setting?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    bzta yun pag sinabing 519watts yan na yun average.

sa setting importante na hwag mo masyadong ilolow para hindi overworked yun aircon mo at tuloy tuloy yun takbo ng compressor. ilagay mo lng sa comfortable na setting hwag mo gayahin yun iba na iseset sa low tapos magkukumot pa o magsusuot ng makapal na damit.

the important thing is dapat madalas sya mag auto shut off thermostat compressor dahil dun ka makakatipid ng kuryente. to do that dapat tama yun power ng aircon mo dun sa room area nya at dapat selyado yun area para madali lumamig

yun lng
    Last edited by boydapa; April 30th, 2008 at 01:44 PM.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    IMO the 519 is the normal operating wattage of the airconditioner with the compressor running. that wattage may vary depending on the settings of the unit. A .5 hp airconditioning unit can only cool a small area. how big is the room? if the aircon unit can't cool the room (or if you use the coldest setting as stated above) the compressor will keep running thus leading to higher electricity bills. so what the sales person said about it being the most energy efficient may not be necessarily true. an aircon unit is energy efficient if it matches the dimensions of the room and is used properly.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Factor in also the heat sources in the room: no. of persons, lights, TV, computer, etc. And is the room facing east (sunrise) or west (sunset)?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    kung well insulated ang room, mas madali itong mapapalamig at magreretain din ng lamig.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    519 watts is the maximum power consumption during which the compressor is operating and the fan is set highest (max or turbo cool).

The thermostat basically controls the duty cycle of the compressor. Low setting results in lower duty cycle, and vice versa.

It is stated that the power consumption of that unit is 519 W. all the way ba once I turned on the unit yun ang consumption nya?
    Yes, if the fan is set highest and thermostat at coldest.

I mean what if naka low cool ang settings mas mababa sa 519 consumption nya?
    Yes, but when the compressor is running, and fan is at lower speed, it would still consume around 500 watts. The difference is just the lower fan speed. The compressor typically consumes around 400 watts for such unit and won't vary during operation.

Or if naka turbo cool mas malaki bas a 519 ang consumption niya?
    No, maximum na ang 519.

Eh yung thermostat? For example I put it on low cool and the thermostat at 2 how will I know how much wattage it is at that setting?
    Your average would be lower than 500 watts, because the aircon would then be operating between 100 watts (compressor is off) and 500 watts (compressor is on), (not 519 because fan is low).

7. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kinyo View Post
    519 watts is the maximum power consumption during which the compressor is operating and the fan is set highest (max or turbo cool).

The thermostat basically controls the duty cycle of the compressor. Low setting results in lower duty cycle, and vice versa.

Yes, if the fan is set highest and thermostat at coldest.

Yes, but when the compressor is running, and fan is at lower speed, it would still consume around 500 watts. The difference is just the lower fan speed. The compressor typically consumes around 400 watts for such unit and won't vary during operation.

No, maximum na ang 519.

Your average would be lower than 500 watts, because the aircon would then be operating between 100 watts (compressor is off) and 500 watts (compressor is on), (not 519 because fan is low).
    I agree ... short ano?

window type room airconditioner power consumption