New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    just bought a laptop and its wifi is 80211 n. the sales man said that in order to maximize wifi, i should get an N router.

he also added its ok to use a B or G router, but the wifi will not be maximized.

just want to know if this is true.

thanks

2. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Yes, it's true.

The thing to consider is how you're going to use the connection. If it's only for Internet access, you won't need N since your ISP connection will never reach those speeds. But if you have a home LAN and do lots of large file transfers or stream media from a file server, you'll thank yourself for the extra boost.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Everything sir Yoda said + if your house is so big, you might need the larger coverage of N.

As for me, I upgraded to N just for kicks but now that I have a new house built near my parents', I get to use the advantage of N because I can still share my internet, files and printers with them esp since we're divided by many layers of steel reinforced concrete and I-beams which creates crazy amounts of interference.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Thanks for the replies.

so if its basic use i can just buy the b/g type. but it would be better to invest in an N type.

t

5. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Price is another factor. If the diff isn't too much, N would be a good investment. Not sure how it is these days, dati malaki talaga.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Price is another factor. If the diff isn't too much, N would be a good investment. Not sure how it is these days, dati malaki talaga.
    yeah invest for N type ready... mas malakas ang range nito. tsaka difference from other router isn't that much.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Hi guys..Ask ko lang po kung paano lagyan ng password itong router namin? Even though sakto lang ang range niya for the size of our house, I still want to make sure.. Tagal na nito eh di ko talaga alam kung paano lagyan ng PW

8. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    got an N router already from premium logic megamall. brand is tplink.

ok nman so far.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by african888 View Post
    got an N router already from premium logic megamall. brand is tplink.

ok nman so far.
    I have been using TPLINK brand routers for a few years and so far it's been a good experience.

What kind of N router did you get? N-Lite or N? N-Lite only get a max throughput of 150MBs while N gets 300MBs

10. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    ride on lang po ako dito.. i hope it's okay.. kung hindi naman.. i suppose transferring to a new thread is okay din...

i used to use a linksys router sa bahay... okay naman... problem ko lang is kapag may isang iphone na nakakabit, other iphones or mac have a hard time connecting sa wifi...

so i tested to use a buffalo wifi router (yung may abang na USB for external disk).... so far the iphone / mac issues have been addressed.. ang weird is, i also have a lenovo laptop (hindi yung thinkpad series, the other one)... hindi maka connect... laging wrong password daw (wpa-tkip) kahit sigurado na ako sa password na tama.. hindi pa rin tnatanggap... i tried connecting through wps.. fail din.... ano kaya pwede gawin?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
wifi router n question