New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Here’s what you can do to protect yourself from the KRACK WiFi vulnerability | TechCrunch

TL,DR version: be extra extra careful with wifi!! Avoid it for now if you can!

Non-techie version:

• Turn off wifi on your phone when outside your house (especially if you use Android). Do not connect to online shopping and social media when using wifi.
    • Avoid social media, email, and definitely stay away from online shopping over wifi.
    • Use a third-party router as PLDT, Smart, and Globe have no patch updates at all for their modem/ONU/routers and personal wifi devices.

There have been posts online and in social media already about the KRACK wifi bug and how dangerous it potentially can be. Those posts are absolutely true.

No known pre-built exploit has been made public yet but rest assured that one will be inevitably out, probably soon. MOST wifi devices (including Android phones and commercial routers/access points) are VULNERABLE! And many devices still DO NOT have a patch. PLDT, SMART and GLOBE devices (modem/routers, personal wifi) still DO NOT have a patch.

For network professionals and sysadmins, please note that this is not remotely executable (like a SQL injection) as this can be utilized more for sniffing on client machines than on the server side. This bug will probably be used more for MITM attacks (e.g. wifi pineapple). This, however, can still be leveraged as an attack vector if and when eavesdropping can lead to exposing other vulnerabilities on a network.

Be wary of Linux POS systems (point-of-sale) systems that are on wifi, they need to move to wired ethernet up until this is patched. Turn off wifi on your phone and stay away from social media and online shopping when connected to public hotspots. Enterprise and residential wifi are both equally at risk, btw.

Will post below on companies that have already issued a patch.
    Last edited by Verbl Kint; October 17th, 2017 at 04:01 AM.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    thanka for this.. norton issued a warning as well earlier..

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tsikot Forums mobile app

3. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Forgot to mention that if your CCTV system is IP Camera based, it may make sense to disconnect your cameras for now up until a patch is built for both the cameras and the router/access point.

It will be so easy to get streams from an IP camera with this exploit, since you just need to get within range of the wifi signal.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2010

5. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Checked my router and other gadgets, no updates yet.

Avoid doing online transactions through wifi.

Sent from my SM-T705 using Tsikot Forums mobile app

6. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    The hacker needs to be in the same proximity as the wifi signal.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Microsoft has released a fix, none for android yet.

Microsoft already has a fix for that severe WiFi security exploit (updated)

Sent from my SM-T705 using Tsikot Forums mobile app

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    My Ubiquiti access points has been patched. And apparently, Microsoft has patched Windows from Krack as early as last week, if you had Windows Update on autopilot.

Just waiting for Google Android and Apple iOS for their respective patches.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    My Ubiquiti access points has been patched. And apparently, Microsoft has patched Windows from Krack as early as last week, if you had Windows Update on autopilot.

Just waiting for Google Android and Apple iOS for their respective patches.
    Na Patch na daw ng IOS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Our enterprise clients are on full alert.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast