New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Here's the deal.

I have a cable modem connection at home here in SG, it's fast and stuff. But I've been connecting directly to a modem using LAN cable.

This afternoon, I bought a Netgear G wifi router. Followed the installation and boom, may laptop is not hooked to the web wirelessly (as I'm typing now).

Here's my problem.

I need to be able to share this internet connection with another laptop (that has built-in Wifi). I can't get it to work.

Before the router came along, I've had difficulties connecting this Acer (2nd laptop) even if I hook the LAN cable directly to the modem.

Another problem was it didn't auto-detect the modem. My personal (Dell) laptop detected the modem automatically which allowed me to install the drivers for it.

This Acer couldn't find the modem.

Anyway, I connected the Acer to the Netgear router with a LAN cable and poof, it connected without any probs.

How do I get both laptops to be connected via wifi?

My wireless network name appears in the "Choose a Wireless Network" list. I try to connect and it never leaves the "Acquiring Network Address" state.

Help please....

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    return the Netgear for a replacement, had a problem like that with a Linksys naman (pero that one, kahit LAN cable ayaw). The replacement worked wonderfully (well except for the disconnecting issue whenever it's hot).

Can you access its interface via web browser?

Haven't had a netgear before so let's wait for others, baka may iba pang solution pero i think it's pretty standard for all ata.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    power cycle modem, router and notebook(dont turn on the dell notebook yet)
    power devices on , then try to connect the acer notebook first before the dell. This is one of the known issues with Netgear wifi routers.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Like I said, everything works PERFECTLY with my main PC. It's the other PC that has been having issues with a DLink Cable Modem and this Netgear router that is confusing me.

I think it's the Acer's OS that's having issues as my friend's Dopod connected without any issues.

The Acer connection works if I hook up the LAN cable from the Netgear router, but won't connect if hooked directly to the cable modem.

My Dell works fine all three ways (direct connection to modem, wifi, or LAN through router.)

5. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    pag yung acer ba dinala mo sa ibang hotspot mahirap din sha i connect sa wifi network or dun lang sa setup mo sa bahay sha nahihirapan mag connect?

may security ba na naka set dun sa AP mo like WEP or WPA?

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    sir paki bigay po ang details nung modem and router mo. kung ano ang brand and model

7. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    hmmm.. mukang may issues talaga yung acer.. have you tried connecting with the firewall off (kahit windows firewall).

also.. baka may probs ung settings mo sa acer. i.e. baka naka static ip address and it still has the dhcp of the cable modem.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by NazQ View Post
    hmmm.. mukang may issues talaga yung acer.. have you tried connecting with the firewall off (kahit windows firewall).

also.. baka may probs ung settings mo sa acer. i.e. baka naka static ip address and it still has the dhcp of the cable modem.
    maybe your router has to assign new ip add. to your other laptop.
    my wifi-ready acer can access hotspots automatically but for secured servers have to be configured manually.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    teeyoh: How do I do that (assign new IP?)

Secured po WiFi ko

10. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Known Issue po ng Netgear ang isang wifi na device hinde makaka connect. In order for some other device on the network to connect kelangan yung may problema ang unang mag connect.

1.)Try disconnect everything from router, reset(hard reset refer to user manual) router set up mo ulit using Acer pc(wired connection) then after mo ma setup yung wifi try mo i connect via wifi then saka mo disconnect(sana gumana ~~~>,<~~~) yung ethernet cable. from there connect the other notebook(via wifi) and yung isang desktop via cable.

2.)Isa pang known issue is yung wireless utility gamit mu sometimes yung WZC wireless zero configuration ng Microsoft windows nag take over sa utility na kasama ng driver ng wifi HW. Start - run - services.msc then look for Wireless zero configuration disable mo yun startup type. Then use mo ulit yung utility kasama ng driver ng wifi mo( dont forget to reenable it again kung hinde gumana yung fix).
    If this doesnt work go to control panel ,network connections right click mo wifi card then view available wifi network then try mo i connect.

Yung problem kse hinde mabigyan ng router yung Acer ng IP.

3.)Pede ka rin mag assign ng static IP pero masmahabang process. Kse pupunta ka pa sa router GUI then mag assign ng static IP then saka mo is set sa properties, right click wifi sa loob ng network connections, click TCP/IP then properties.

4.) Kung ayaw parin upgrade mo na yung firmware www.netgear.com

Best guess ko is yung 1st fix.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wi-Fi Noob... Need help fast.