New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    I have tried to clean up the LAN and power cables of my workstation at home and used cable ducts to hide the messy cables. I just place the power and LAN cables together in the same cable duct. I have about 5 two feet cable ducts. I will be posting a picture later.

Now, I have read somewhere that LAN cables should not be placed near or together with power cables as the same would cause interference...I am not familiar with cable management but due to space constraints and limitations, I am stuck with my present set-up, which is, placing together LAN cables and power cables together in the same cable duct.

My questions are: Is there really such interference? Would such interference slow down my LAN and internet connections? Should I re-do the cabling set-up?

2. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    No such interference. Commercial power is operating at 50/60hertz, give it some transients still it wont go near CAT5 cabling frequencies of 100megahertz. Also noise cancellation is achieved by twisting the pairs of copper cable, if you are suspecting interference you could shield it up maybe by using a metallic cable tray that is strapped on earth ground.. Or.. Use a shielded twisted pair, you still have to connect it to earth ground thou.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by 12vdc View Post
    No such interference. Commercial power is operating at 50/60hertz, give it some transients still it wont go near CAT5 cabling frequencies of 100megahertz. Also noise cancellation is achieved by twisting the pairs of copper cable, if you are suspecting interference you could shield it up maybe by using a metallic cable tray that is strapped on earth ground.. Or.. Use a shielded twisted pair, you still have to connect it to earth ground thou.
    agree. there would be no such interference. ganyan din ang cabling ko sa house, wala namang nagiging problem.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 12vdc View Post
    agree. there would be no such interference. ganyan din ang cabling ko sa house, wala namang nagiging problem.