New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    try to isolate kung os problem or hardware by booting to a bootable disk or floppy or usb drive. baka software issue yan. pareinstall mo yun OS. if outside os nag-freeze, try mo reseat yun memory and clean the slots and contact pins. madalas kasi yun ang nakikita ko diperensya.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    try to check the voltages in your PSU, if it's inconsistent, that could be the culprit

3. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 1D4LV View Post
    madami eh...hangs can be caused by a lot of factors, namely drivers, yung operating systems mismo, installed applications or even the hardware.

hanggang ngayon may tinitira kaming PC dito sa office na naghahang din. among the activities that we have taken:

a) checked the cables inside. ok naman.
    b) checked the system for virus. although may nakita na Trojan, nung natanggal, naghahang pa din.
    c) since may nakitang virus, we assumed na baka may tinamaang DLL sa OS. so we repaired the OS. naghahang pa din.
    d) we decided to clean format and clean install the OS. ganun pa din.
    e) we have checked the RAM for loose connections. Ok naman.
    f) we isolated a defective USB port. so assuming na yun ang nagiging cause, pinalitan namin ng USB. ganun pa din.
    g) yun pala ang problema is yung CMOS...
    Sir pano po ginawa nyo sa CMOS? Flash nyo po?

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    OT
    Some motherboards have problems regulating IRQ/ACPI settings at the bios level. As a result, random freezes always result. I recall one owning one such motherboard which was a nightmare:

Soyo Dragon Plus*

It's an AMD Athlon XP motherboard based on the Via KT266A chipset. That motherboard had massive problems. It had 5 pci slots and an agp port. But, putting any pci cards on the last 3 slots always resulted in a hard freeze. Even when the slots were vacant, I had to make sure very few IRQ's were shared. I'm glad it bit the dust shortly after moving here. In contrast, the motherboard of my wife's old pc is based on the older AMD 760 chipset. It way outlasted the Soyo and is still going strong today.

*It's the main reason for my tendency to keep track of shared IRQ's.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; February 17th, 2008 at 02:16 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
what to check first if PC hangs?