New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i use imation or verbatim, sometimes sony to backup IMPORTANT data since yung mga generic cds maninipis. try mo itapat sa ilalim ng flourescent na ilaw, see through (halos transparent na) siya unlike the branded ones na transluscent to opaque.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    but most branded ones are a layer of paint or something like that on the "label" side...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    bago ako bumili scratch ko muna ung label para siguradong matibay. ung iba kasi lalo na pag generic madaling matanggal ung label siyempre kasama na don ung nilalagyan ng data.

ewan ko lang ha. sa mga cd kasi tingin ko kahit generic lang basta maalaga ka tatatagal naman siya e. basta lang walang gasgas. may ps1 game ako dito na pirated. sobrang pagkapirated niya e ung pinaka label niya e sticker lang unlike sa iba na naka print. 8 years na siya at hanggang ngayon nababasa pa rin.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Basta use branded ones for critical data. Generics are fine for music and mp3s. And do make sure that your writer is up to it.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    nice! hehe just got to post ngayon. my computer broke down two days ago. I was just able to get it restored today. hehe signs of getting my data backed up. where could i buy cheap branded cd's for data?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by doublea
    Any CDs that are branded will be fine as long as it would be free from scratches or cracks. CDs are generally can hold data for about 25 years. They are safe from any magnetic materials unlike ordinary tape catridges. Just when writing to a disk be sure to verify from the application that the files written are the same from the files read.
    that's for CDs

and generally, people associate the quality of CDs with that of CD-Rs and CR-RWs - which is misleading.

generic CD-R / RWs generally will only last upto 20 months.

branded ones will last for around 5 years or more.

as a general rule, those for long-term storage should be checked once in a while for data corruption.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by doublea
    Any CDs that are branded will be fine as long as it would be free from scratches or cracks. CDs are generally can hold data for about 25 years. They are safe from any magnetic materials unlike ordinary tape catridges. Just when writing to a disk be sure to verify from the application that the files written are the same from the files read.
    that's for CDs

and generally, people associate the quality of CDs with that of CD-Rs and CR-RWs - which is misleading.

generic CD-R / RWs generally will only last upto 20 months.

branded ones will last for around 5 years or more.

as a general rule, those for long-term storage should be checked once in a while for data corruption.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Generally, branded cds and generics have the same format and use but with different quality in terms of lamination and tendancy to warp in slight change of weather conditions. Any CDRs are ok to store files as long as you store them in a well kept place.

Suggestion of recording for Generic CDs:
    1. Write the data at speeds not more than 4x - to keep the data stable.
    2. Have a cd cover for it.
    3. Do not hold the cd in a flat position or you will damage the data surface of the cd because it lacks a protective coating.
    4. If the cd is dirty, don't even try to clean it or you will loose your data.
    5. Have at least extra backup cd. Write 2 generic cds just to make sure.
    6. Do not store in hot surface or under the sun.

Hope this helps.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    my suggestion is get an iomega cd's. ok yun, or in event na hindi available hanap ka nang makapal ang coating not necessarily branded. kasi sa cd ang dapat iniingatan e yung ibabaw hindi yung ilalim. oki? :D

10. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Ian_rex is right. You have to handle the label(top)
    surface delicately but it is still prudent to handle the cd on both sides just to be sure. The bottom part of the cd is important as the top surface.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
What Cd's are good for storing files?