New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I've just received another damn E-mail virus, it's the Bagle.H Worm, and it protects itself from e-mail resident virus scanners by placing itself in an encrypted zip file. It gives you the password in the e-mail, and when you un-encrypt the zipfile, it comes out as a *.exe file instead of a *.doc

I don't know if this is a targeted mail or another mass-mailing worm... but I was expecting a Word document from the person who sent it, so I actually opened it without thinking. Good thing my AVG caught it!

Be careful!

As a reminder:
    1. NEVER OPEN any *.exe, *.com, *.scr or any non-document file.

2. Always scan *.txt, *.doc or *.xls files before opening them.

3. Don't accept any password protected or encrypted files, as anti-virus programs can't read them... I doubt your friends know how to encrypt anyway.
    Last edited by niky; September 9th, 2004 at 12:53 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    its the standard way of treating e-mails. too bad most people still do not understand or follow them.

3. FrankDrebin Guest
    BTW, there's a new one! An e-mail with 2 attachments, one is a soft-**** jpeg or gif file and the other(the lethal one) is *.scr file. Beware of the email's subject!

4. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    yeah.. we need to educate some of them in handling this kind of emails..

SOP ::: Dont open mail with attachments if you didnt know personally the sender.. try to check your pc for possible virus infection... try to scan your pc using free online virus scanner.. try this link ... http://housecall.trendmicro.com then follow the instructions there..

HTH .

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    thanks, frank... added *.scr... forgot about that one!

Actually, AVG from grisoft.com is as good as or better than Norton, and it's free!

I use AVG, and do Housecall from time to time. Best not to rely on just one means of protection. I also use Spybot and AdAware for internet hijackers and worms, but I don't get those so much now that I use Mozilla Firefox (also FREE) instead of Internet Explorer.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    time to update my virus definitions.....

7. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    upgrade to the latest release of winzip din para sure. baka ito na yung sinasabi nilang security flaws ng winzip.
    http://security.itworld.com/4345/040...aw/page_1.html

Watch Your E-mail Carefully!!!