New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    I have a hard time choosing among these brands and models. your advice would be greatly appreciated

1. Rolex Airking 2007 model gray face 34mm or 36mm (not sure) I want this because of the name and high resale value of rolex watches. Of course quality, movement and after sales support. Downside is I find it a bit small for my liking. Nowadays i would go for at least 40mm. Also this is the entry level Rolex so I am not really too sure of the quality if its at par with the higher end models.

2. IWC Aquatimer Automatic 42mm black face. Stainless. I like this because IWC is unique and not as common as rolex. However i am not really too sold on the looks. Design is so so for me.

3. IWC Pilot Mark XVI 39mm black face. Stainless steel strap. This is a classic watch and one of the most popular in the IWC lineup. I love it when I first saw it but when I tried it on I find the craftmanship to be a bit lacking. The bezel and metal strap is not really on par with the price that you would be paying for this watch.

4. Omega Planet Ocean 42mm black face black bezel. Stainless steel. I like the craftmanship of this watch. Everything is solid. Movement is topnotch COSC certified. After sales support is great just like Rolex. The thing however is that by adding a little more to what i am paying for this watch I can already get myself a much higher level brand like IWC or Rolex

5. Ball Hydrocarbon Magnate http://www.ballwatch.com/preview/ind...om_collections
    1/3 the price of the Omega Planet Ocean. Craftmanship is very very good for the price. I love the design also. Value for money wise this rates very high.
    Negative points would be the movement which uses cheap ETA and most importantly it has micro gas lube inside the watch which is radioactive. I have read that this is harmless but of course at the back of my mind still I cant help thinking that how come if this is indeed safe why arent the other established watch makers use this technology on their watches also. This is the biggest thing that is preventing me from getting this watch.

6. Panerai marina luminor - I love the face but I dont like leather strapped watch. Also its a bit on the expensive side.

Which among the six would be your choice and why? Do you have any other brand suggestions ? No Tag, Oris pls.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Whew! Ang mamahal nito bro.....

Maybe Gabriel can help you....

4808:santa:

3. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Binas ko yung first post.........

Dumugo ilong ko.

Magkano ba yung no. 1?

4. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    I just got a IWC Mark XV leather strap (2nd hand) and a Ball Night Train.

Why don't you get a IWC Classic Pilot Chronograph? Perhaps the best looking chronograph around. my friend just got his. It's also a very popular item and always out of stock.

Any Rolex makes an impression but I don't like how they look. The IWC Aquatimer looks too plain and reminds me of Timex. The Ball Magnate is a good value watch. The Tritium Tubes are not unique to Ball as Traser also uses them but Ball is perhaps the most aggressive and design conscious user of Tritium tubes. Omega? I'm kinda disappointed with the quality problems they had with certain models of the Speedmasters so i haven't considered them at all.

Panerai? sorry, i don't know anything about it.

Well, among those watches you mentioned. I'm partial to the IWC Mark XVI for obvious reasons. Here's a pic of my Mark XV which is 1mm smaller in diameter than the newer model.
    Last edited by bender; December 16th, 2007 at 01:17 AM.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Bakit hindi ka nalang mag Patek? :D

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i have a friend who has an airking bought late 70s or early 80s
    nasa uso pa rin ang design

so i have to say that because it lasted almost 4 decades and
    saka simply lang...

7. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    It's not on the list but I agree with bender -- I'd suggest the IWC Pilot Chrono. Or the IWC Portuguese 7-Day Power Reserve. Or the Ingenieur.

But if you're limited to your list, I'd get the IWC Pilot Mark XVI. Nice, classy and not common.

After those, my preference would be Ball. Good value and distinctive.

The Omega PO would be next.

Rolexes, I think, are too common and I also don't like how they look: Usually pang-matanda or sobrang kintab kaya nag-mu-mukhang D.O.M.. I wouldn't want the Panerai -- I think it's too faddish. Uso lang the past few years.

P.S. I'm no expert. Just my two cents.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mikaztro View Post
    Bakit hindi ka nalang mag Patek? :D

Bro., because “You never actually own a Patek Philippe. You merely look after it for the next generation.”

Whew! Ang tindi!

4808:santa:

9. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Patek is too oldish besides its beyond my budget. Also i dont like straps

So far I have narrowed down my choices to IWC Pilot Chrono Mark XVI and Omega Planet Ocean. Ingenieur is above my budget but its one hell of a watch.
    I agree that the IWC aquatimer looks like a timex and according to Lucerne the IWC PiloT series is the most saleable IWC line. Its always sold out.

Ball is nice and a very good value for money but the 3H tritium radiation thing is bothering me.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I own an Omega Seamaster, IWC Pilot's Watch Chrono Stainless Steel and a Rolex Oyster Datejust 116234 . The frequency of my use are in that specified order.

In terms of value & style I would still recommend a Rolex. Its classic, it never goes out of style. You can use it for any occassion (not on the sporty-side, though). For formal gatherings, a white shirt, black tie, black pants, black coat, black shoes and a Rolex is all you need. Good luck.

Watch experts in this forum I need your advice