New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    To everybody (especially the vinyl users/enthusiasts):

I'm transferring my lola's vinyl collections using her turntable. Right now all our spare carts from my aunt in the 'states, and she's not exactly buying them wholesale (they're $40 a pop, so I can't blame her).

Any tips on where to get spare carts/stylii for reasonable prices (around Metro Manila)? Also, how much do you think a dedicated phono preamp would cost (I'm currently using lola's component system, having a big box under the computer table isn't exactly convenient). Thanks in advance, guys!

2. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    The audio shops at the Makati Cinema Square basement level might be of help to you.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    The audio shops at Raon, Quiapo - especially the shops that cater to mobile/DJs who still use vynil. They also sell phono pre-amps there. What is your turntable i.e. brand and model?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    si tomsrolla sa grupotoyota forum works on a big audio shop... I think they have good brand turn tables (yung pang DJ class). I remember nuon that the TECHNICS brands was one of the best (cheap din ang stylus nito).

5. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Yup, Raon is the place to go for styluses of all kinds. Most are replacement styluses, however.

For 2nd hand phono pre-amps, you can try the Port Area in Manila. Sangkatutak dun, almost lahat galing sa Japan

6. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Thanks for the replies guys. Are there any specific shops that you'd like to recommend?

Our turntable is an entry-level Technics SL-BD20D. It uses P-Mount (or "T4P" as Technics/Panasonic calls it) cartridges (plug-and-play, pre-weighed stuff). Magkano kaya ang ganitong klaseng cart?

Yung phono preamp naman, lumang Sanyo component amplifier (110v pa!) na patapon na at sira na ang tape deck. Minodify lang ng electrician friend namin para may line-out. It works well actually, but it's WAY too big to keep around under our computer table!

Nagre-repair rin ba itong mga shops na ito ng turntable? May lumang Sony PS-Q7 direct drive automatic turntable kasi ang tatay ko that we'd like to have repaired, for novelty more than anything. Cute kasi siya eh, 1/4 lang ang size compared to a normal turntable (the record sticks out of the TT while playing).

P.S. I'm not after those DJ type TT's, styluses and carts. They use higher tracking forces that are strictly for DJ use, and wear out records pretty quickly. Nagre-restore lang kasi kami dito ng rare stuff sa koleksyon ng parents at grandparents, nothing too Hi-Fi either.
    Last edited by Alpha_One; May 8th, 2007 at 12:24 PM.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2015
    bumping this thread. any new leads where to get affordable turntables, amps and bookshelf speakers?

8. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    ^try the basement of makati cinema square

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tsikot Forums mobile app

9. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kisshmet View Post
    ^try the basement of makati cinema square

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tsikot Forums mobile app
    I am not sure if the shop we frequent at MCS is still there, it's on the 2nd floor, iirc.

DriveFast.DieHappy.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by zan View Post
    bumping this thread. any new leads where to get affordable turntables, amps and bookshelf speakers?
    Where are you based?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Vinyl equipment, where to buy (esp. spare stylus/cartridge)?