New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    correction:
    AM/FM - 8track - cassette tape - CD - CD/MP3 - USB/SD/iPod/GPS/touchscreen/TV/DVD/kitchensink.
    I still remember our 1976 Toyota Crown and the mechanical buttons to "program" the FM/AM stations...

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    i remember this classic Sony TV

it's the KX27 Profeel

it was the best CRT TV ever

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Portable media changes... but can you honestly say that's bad? We've gone from ancient LP to wildly inefficient 8-track to cassette to CD and now to digital distribution... but you can still buy LP players if you need them.

AM/FM radio is not obsolete. The fact that most of you know who Mo Twister and Grace Lee are is a good sign of this.

SD TVs are not obsolete. The only problem with 80's receivers is that you won't be able to watch all 100 cable channels, but bridge-technologies like cable boxes allow you to watch cable on even the oldest TV sets.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    planned obsolescence sounds fishy to me.
    it's the job of designers and engineers to look for faults of a previous design and correct them on the latest. form follows function and function follows failure. a bit hard to accept they were asked to reverse the process just to invigorate the economy.

unlike those old/ original refrigerators and bulbs, consumer whitegoods nowadays like refrigerators and devices like ipods have to meet government regulations like energy ratings.
    everything has to be re-engineered to make everything minute, efficient, and full-featured all the while keeping production cost down just to be competitive.
    modern transistors replaced tubes from your old tv's, integrated components replaced socketed ones, microchip tech in everything, plastic replaces steel. it's cheaper and easier to replace a device than to look for that oem battery or part that is no longer in production. logistics would be a nightmare if it weren't so.
    it's given something has to give in if you want that inexpensive, sophisticated and newest product on the market. and just look around us, everyone can afford almost anything these days.

however, natural obsolescence's everywhere. it is synonymous with being an applefan. apple products are reliable (inspite of the 'unluckiness' of the few) that's why we diehards exist. software upgrades forced me to let go of my quadra, performa, powermac, powerbook, imacs, etc. and just move on towards the next evolution. i kept my 2nd gen ibook, 1st gen ipod and nano and they're still working fine.

we should be more alarmed/ aware of a direct consumer psyche manipulation. the madmen's " people want to be told what to do so badly that they'll listen to anyone", "…because we want them to be who we want them to be" type of manipulation.
    price, promotion, distribution, etc. all the variables that effectively sell a product have pushed the level of consumption to its present level of excessive consumerism.
    the gruen transfer effect when a shopping mall's layout confuses you and intentionally misleads you into buying,
    globalisation and giant, all-under-one-roof like ikea and macro disorient you with a hundred choices,
    and the culture of convenience shopping (online or phone-base), no wonder we're in this mess.
    i should know, i'm an applefan, myself
    Last edited by Helios; March 22nd, 2012 at 12:00 AM.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    There are only FEW products today that are built to last.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    The MVPMAP PHUV had unplanned obsolescence.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    ^^^

haha

hanggang prototype lang

8. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    ^^^

haha

hanggang prototype lang
    Lakas pa naman ng Hype.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    That is the problem. You make a product that is so durable, it will last for decades without breaking down. Although nearly every household has a Singer sewing machine, the company itself has not benefited from it's products' success.
    Kaya some companies in order to survive go into other industries.

Yung ice scarmble business ni mrs. monthly halos bili ng hand mixer, plastic ang internal gears eh, nilagyan ko pa synthetic grease pero wala talaga. Papagawa na nga lang ako ng custom made mixer since malaki din kung 3 every month for each kiosk. Yung mga mechanical mixer ng mga naglalako, ang tibay eh. Pure bakal.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ry_Tower View Post
    Kaya some companies in order to survive go into other industries.

Yung ice scarmble business ni mrs. monthly halos bili ng hand mixer, plastic ang internal gears eh, nilagyan ko pa synthetic grease pero wala talaga. Papagawa na nga lang ako ng custom made mixer since malaki din kung 3 every month for each kiosk. Yung mga mechanical mixer ng mga naglalako, ang tibay eh. Pure bakal.
    Why don't you just buy a higher end mixer with metal parts?

With kitchen or food service appliances, buying cheaper is false economy if you're going to use it a lot.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
VIDEO: "The Light Bulb Conspiracy"