New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by niky
    Apple doesn't need to build in planned obsolescence. Their customers will gladly change up even if nothing's wrong with their products.

Aside from the fact that Apple batteries are built-in and can't be serviced outside, their products are mostly solid. In fact, Apple warranty and customer support is incredible. If something breaks that isn't supposed to break, they'll replace it for free, no matter when you bought the product. Hell... even if it's your fault (some broken iPod/iPhone screens), they'll replace it.

Customer service, product quality and durability help keep Apple entrenched. Their advantage is that they can charge a big premium for their products, so they can fund this otherwise extravagantly wasteful business model.

Try saying "HP" or "Compaq" in the same sentence as Apple. Their computers are crap. We once had three HP Pavilions bought at the same time all burn out within six months, and only one was replaced under warranty. The quality sucked, despite Apple rivalling price. We haven't had a single Apple device break down over the past several years... not even the iMac my brother dropped down the stairs.
    +1. I have a macbook for more than 4 years and never found a need to replace the batteries yet (fingers crossed)

2. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    mine is a toshiba satelite laptop which i bought in Sharjah UAE year 2005, hanggang ngayon gumagana pa siya nang matino, tapos yun 29 inch Philips CRT TV hanggang ngayon gumagana pa nang maayos. Kaya in my experience lahat nang nabili ko sa bansa na yun ay tumatagal ang mga gamit. Kahit nga cellphone ko N70 gumagana pa hanggang ngayon. Kahit sabihin ni misis na palitan na yun tv namin kumokontra ako sa kanya, sabi ayos pa naman siya at ayoko siyang palitan.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    People have to understand kasi the cost of engineering things to last.

Example:

Would you be willing to buy a cellphone that is designed to last 30 years but costs 10x more and is expected to be superseded by newer and better technology within a year or two?

Anti-market activists fail to see that it's consumer demand that drives this practice and not the manufacturers themselves.

Imagine for a moment that there is no planned obsolescence. Government forces this mandate to every manufacturer. Every object is built to last for generations. Manufacturers only last one production run. Companies go broke because there's no sales afterwards. There is very little to no incentive to innovate or invent. Everyone is stuck in the stone age.

But of course, let's not forget that there's also a market niche for consumers who value longevity and durability.
    Damn, son! Where'd you find this?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by safeorigin View Post
    People have to understand kasi the cost of engineering things to last.

Example:

Would you be willing to buy a cellphone that is designed to last 30 years but costs 10x more and is expected to be superseded by newer and better technology within a year or two?

Anti-market activists fail to see that it's consumer demand that drives this practice and not the manufacturers themselves.

Imagine for a moment that there is no planned obsolescence. Government forces this mandate to every manufacturer. Every object is built to last for generations. Manufacturers only last one production run. Companies go broke because there's no sales afterwards. There is very little to no incentive to innovate or invent. Everyone is stuck in the stone age.

But of course, let's not forget that there's also a market niche for consumers who value longevity and durability.

Depends on the style of the country's government. In the soviet style planning, Products were designed to a specification to last for years and years without the need for replacing parts or any sort of repair. It was shown in the video that soviet era refrigerators were designed to last 25 years and a sample of it has been running for the last 24 years with all original parts including the original light-bulb.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2009

Actually, many products in our era are well made. My dad's 29 inch SONY TV like above, is 22 years old and still working great.

My driver's first phone, the NOKIA 3210 is still with him.

My friend's 1985 Mercedes 260E is still beautiful.

Ouer 1993 TOYOTA GLI is still going strong.

As a Consumer, it is up to you to choose the upgrade path or not.

If you take care of what you use, many things would last a long time.
    Last edited by andywesteast; March 21st, 2012 at 02:30 PM.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    the industry will force you to upgrade even if you don't want to

HD broadcasts made old TVs obsolete

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Also old TVs lack the connectivity to newer devices.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    sa car stereo palang look at the evolution

from cassette tape to CD/CD changer to USB & SD card

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    sa car stereo palang look at the evolution

from cassette tape to CD/CD changer to USB & SD card
    correction:
    AM/FM - 8track - cassette tape - CD - CD/MP3 - USB/SD/iPod/GPS/touchscreen/TV/DVD/kitchensink.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    hahaha 8 track

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
VIDEO: "The Light Bulb Conspiracy"