New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    To make GTAIV a little bit more bearable on my card, I've overclocked my Inno3D 8500GT 512MB 128-bit from the stock figures of:

459MHz Core Clock
    940MHz Shader Clock
    333MHz Memory Clock (666MHz data rate)

to:

702MHz Core Clock
    1437MHz Shader Clock
    440MHz Memory Clock (880MHz data rate)

The stock settings make the card reach temps of about 60deg celsius at idle and about 70deg celsius when loaded. The overclocked settings make the card reach about 65deg celsius at idle and as high as 76deg celsius when loaded. Is this temperature too hot? BTW, the OCd settings didn't produce artifacting whatsoever. I tried higher settings, and it also ran well but after a couple of hours, I noticed artifacting so I reverted to the notch-lower clocks.

I've read that 8500GTs routinely reach 80deg celsius and more, but that's an ECS card, not Inno3D. I set my VC fan at 100% fixed, just to be a little bit safer. Any ideas?
    Last edited by roberto_minosa; June 15th, 2009 at 06:50 PM.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I have a non-overclocked XFX GeForce 8600GT. Idle is 60 deg C. No bad effects at full load.

I'm just waiting for it to die so I can ask the wife for a new video card. Darn thing's pretty stubborn though.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; June 18th, 2009 at 07:27 AM.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    I have a non-overclocked XFX GeForce 8600GT. Idle is 60 deg C. No bad effects at full load.

I'm just waiting for it to die so I can ask the wife for a new video card. Darn thing's pretty stubborn though.
    You'll have to wait a wee bit more. I have a factory overclocked dinosaur -- 7900GT. I'm also waiting for it to die....but it stubbornly refuses to. It idles between 60C ~ 70C and sometimes hits 90C at full load. No ill effects. I think the nVidia chips are designed like that.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Whew! I guess we're all ok then...anyway, my brother's been playing GTAIV everyday for a couple of hours with no problems.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto_minosa View Post
    Whew! I guess we're all ok then...anyway, my brother's been playing GTAIV everyday for a couple of hours with no problems.
    nVidia cards just seem to run hotter than ATI cards. Even an older agp GeForce Ti-4200 idled around 60 deg C.

Compare that to the last ATI card I used (PCI-E X800XL) which idled near 40 deg C and rarely hit 50 deg C at full load.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    my XFX 9600GT hits 77 C's when left on auto fan speed. had to use 100% fan speed even I'm not overclocking. though this is a little factory overclock edition.

nice O.C btw, someone over TPC had this settings on his 8500GT

Last edited by rion; June 19th, 2009 at 04:57 AM.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    ^
    Thank goodness I'm not alone...

I tried using those settings at first because I read that the 8500GT can reach those clocks but still remain stable, but I noticed a little artifacting so I lowered the clocks one notch down (27MHz less for the core and 55MHz less for the shader) hence my current settings of 702/1437MHz respectively. On the memory, I read that it could reach clocks almost as high as 500MHz, but artifacting got worse when it reached something like 450MHz, so I stepped it down to 440MHz and it runs like a dream. I also made the VC fan run constantly at 100%, just to be on the safe side.

And finally, a lot of people reported that Nvidia cards run normal at more than 60deg Celsius, while ATi cards will be burning at those temps due to low-temp design.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Update!

I've just installed a large case fan on the side of my chassis. It's the largest they've got at CD-R King. I mounted it on the rear panel grille perpendicularly, near the PCI screw threads. It's got the same orientation as the HSF of the CPU, so it faces the sides of the PCI cards on the fan's front end and the grille of the chassis cover on the rear. I used cable ties to mount it. I also rearranged my PCI cards so that the 8500GT can breathe more easily. The placement before practically blocked the fan and heatsink of the video card.

I bumped up the GPU clocks to 729/1492MHz on the core and shader clocks and retained 440MHz on the mems. Oddly, GPU temperature now averages only 60deg Celsius even when playing GTAIV! The placement of the PCI cards definitely played a part, and I think that adding the extra fan helped a lot.

Now, I only have to worry about my CPU temp. I also overclocked my Intel 531 (P4 3.0 HT) to 3.2GHz. The lowest temp at idle is 50deg Celsius and as high as 62deg Celsius when heavily loaded. Given that Intel's rated maximum temperature is around 67deg Celsius for my CPU, I'll be having second thoughts for the moment. Zalman...Zalman...Zalman...
    Last edited by roberto_minosa; June 19th, 2009 at 07:14 PM.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rion View Post
    my XFX 9600GT hits 77 C's when left on auto fan speed. had to use 100% fan speed even I'm not overclocking. though this is a little factory overclock edition.

nice O.C btw, someone over TPC had this settings on his 8500GT

pano tingnan yung temp?

10. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    ^I use Everest Ultimate coz Rivatuner and ATiTool are not fully compatible with Win7.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Video Card Temperature...Is my 8500GT too hot???