New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Are thin clients and VDI's still good for the workplace? I'm trying to find the right technology on how can I manage my current company's computer infrastructure.

Any suggestion. TIA...

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by skyglider View Post
    Are thin clients and VDI's still good for the workplace? I'm trying to find the right technology on how can I manage my current company's computer infrastructure.

Any suggestion. TIA...
    Thin clients paired with a VDI platform is a good choice if you want to establish data security from a shared service or offshore center. This way you limit the access of the offshore users to only the specific applications you install on your VDI system. However, you need a dedicated IPLC link or a high bandwidth internet link with a redundant backup link to ensure connectivity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    VDI is expensive and the upfront and operational costs for both hardware and software+licenses are steep. Your company should have a specific business need that only VDI can deliver (like data security, as mentioned above, or residency, among others), otherwise, it's going to run the company to the ground with unnecessary expenses.

I mean absolutely no offence saying the following.... If you had to ask about whether or not VDI is viable for your company, I think you ought to be talking to a competent vendor so they can assess your business and environment.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    *skyglider - for what line of business do you need such an infrastructure? Part of the infrastucture our company uses thin clients and VDI.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    It's for a manufacturing company with 2 sites connected via Leased Line and 3 remote sites with around +100 users mixed of desktop and laptops.

I'm thinking of hiring a web apps developer then just develop an intranet/portal ala Office 365/G Suite. Owners are hesitant of adapting cloud technologies.

Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    *skyglider - for what line of business do you need such an infrastructure? Part of the infrastucture our company uses thin clients and VDI.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    It's for a manufacturing company with 2 sites connected via Leased Line and 3 remote sites with around +100 users mixed of desktop and laptops.

I'm thinking of hiring a web apps developer then just develop an intranet/portal ala Office 365/G Suite. Owners are hesitant of adapting cloud technologies.
    Do you have a team of SysAdmins and Network engineers already? You need them first than an apps developer when setting up your data center. I am assuming your 2 primary sites will be working as backups of each other.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Do you have a team of SysAdmins and Network engineers already? You need them first than an apps developer when setting up your data center. I am assuming your 2 primary sites will be working as backups of each other.
    I am the one acting as Sys Ad and Network Ad for now. I have 2 staffs, both fresh grads, in Makati and 1 in Laguna (also fresh grad). I am developing/training them and hopefully they would gain enough experience to help me.

That's my plan, 2 sites will be a backup of each other in case of unforseen events.

I think I need to research more so I can make a better plan.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I am the one acting as Sys Ad and Network Ad for now. I have 2 staffs, both fresh grads, in Makati and 1 in Laguna (also fresh grad). I am developing/training them and hopefully they would gain enough experience to help me.

That's my plan, 2 sites will be a backup of each other in case of unforseen events.

I think I need to research more so I can make a better plan.
    Your 2 primary sites offer a good setup for a data center and a BCP site. Since you are opting for an infrastructure with no Cloud systems, both primary sites should mirror its capabilities so that when one goes down, you can easily do a failover to the other site with minor disruption. You need another SysAdmin person supporting Laguna with you in Makati.

The advantage offered by an infrastructure that has a Cloud component is that you can have some of your key applications stored in AWS or Azure for easy access to offshore sites. Assuming you got all the financial support, you need to plan out your company's network architecture to support your key business objectives. It's hard building an infrastructure when management tend to be so mindful of cost. It is wiser to spend now than having to face losses later when the infrastructure collapses due to limited capability or under-spec'd network equipment/devices.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Your 2 primary sites offer a good setup for a data center and a BCP site. Since you are opting for an infrastructure with no Cloud systems, both primary sites should mirror its capabilities so that when one goes down, you can easily do a failover to the other site with minor disruption. You need another SysAdmin person supporting Laguna with you in Makati.

The advantage offered by an infrastructure that has a Cloud component is that you can have some of your key applications stored in AWS or Azure for easy access to offshore sites. Assuming you got all the financial support, you need to plan out your company's network architecture to support your key business objectives. It's hard building an infrastructure when management tend to be so mindful of cost. It is wiser to spend now than having to face losses later when the infrastructure collapses due to limited capability or under-spec'd network equipment/devices.
    Thank you sir. I really need to educate the management.

One of my justifications would be, a day downtime would cost us 1M against investing 500K/year for some opex. We are really system dependent now, so I think it would be a good argument.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    VDI is expensive and the upfront and operational costs for both hardware and software+licenses are steep. Your company should have a specific business need that only VDI can deliver (like data security, as mentioned above, or residency, among others), otherwise, it's going to run the company to the ground with unnecessary expenses.

I mean absolutely no offence saying the following.... If you had to ask about whether or not VDI is viable for your company, I think you ought to be talking to a competent vendor so they can assess your business and environment.
    Thank you sir for the tip...